Time remaining:
is it possible that she is their daughter?

label Science
account_circle Unassigned
schedule 1 Day
account_balance_wallet $5

you test the long lost daughters for blood and find out that her genotype is Dd.

a. is it possible that she is their daughter?

Nov 29th, 2014

You need to know the genotype of the parents to figure out if the genotype of the daughter is possible.

Some examples:

1) If the parents have genotype DD x dd, when you do a Punnet square, you'll find that the offspring will all have genotype Dd.  If this is the case, then the answer is yes.

2) If the parents have genotype DD x DD, the only possibly offspring are DD.  If this is the case, then the answer is no, she is not their daughter.  (Same reasoning with dd x dd)

3) If the parents have genotype DD x Dd, then there's a 75% chance the offspring will have genotype DD and a 25% chance the offspring will have Dd.  If this is the case, then she could be their daughter.

4) If the parents have genotype Dd x Dd, then there's a 25% chance the offspring will have genotype DD, a 50% chance the offspring will have genotype Dd and a 25% chance the offspring will have genotype dd.  If this is the case, there is a chance she could be their daughter.

5) If the parents have genotype Dd x dd, then there's a 25% chance the offspring will have genotype Dd and a 75% chance the offspring will have genotype dd.  If this is the case, there is a possibility she could be their daughter.

I think that's all the possible combinations for the parents.  Hope this helps.  Message me if you need more help or have more questions :)

Nov 29th, 2014

Studypool's Notebank makes it easy to buy and sell old notes, study guides, reviews, etc.
Click to visit
The Notebank
...
Nov 29th, 2014
...
Nov 29th, 2014
Sep 23rd, 2017
check_circle
Mark as Final Answer
check_circle
Unmark as Final Answer
check_circle
Final Answer

Secure Information

Content will be erased after question is completed.

check_circle
Final Answer