60.00 mL of 0.817-M HNO3 solution and 65.00 mL of 0.174-M HNO3 solution are combined and then diluted with water until the total volume is 250.00 mL.
1. Find the amount of liters of each solution, because molarity is in liters. (0.06000 L 0.817-M solution and 0.6500 L 0.174-M solution)
2. Use the molarities to figure out how many moles of HNO3 you have. [ a) .06 L * 0.817 mol HNO3/1 L solution = 0.04902 mol HNO3 b) .065 L * 0.174 mol HNO3/1 L solution = 0.1131 mol HNO3 ]
3. Add the number of moles from both solutions together. (0.04902 mol HNO3 + 0.1131 mol HNO3 = 0.06033 mol HNO3 total
4. Divide by new, diluted volume (in liters). 0.06033 mol HNO3/0.25000 L solution = 0.24132-M solution.
5. Significant figures: Go back to the problem and see which one has the least amount of significant figures. you use 3 significant figures, giving an answer of 0.241-M solution.
Content will be erased after question is completed.
Enter the email address associated with your account, and we will email you a link to reset your password.
Forgot your password?