This week we will discuss what we can do to help bring about social change. How can we become change agents? What part do we play on the process? Let's do our best!
Step 1: Read
Read this article from ADL on "10 Ways Youth Can Engage in Activism."
Step 2: Watch
Watch this TedTalk on the power of students engaged in social change
Step 3: Post your response to the discussion board -- Reflect
Write 2 short paragraphs for your initial response.
- After reading the article, please write the following: please write a short summary of the article. What stuck out to you? What kinds of activism have you been a part of? Which would you like to engage in for the future?
- In your second paragraph, respond to the Ted Talk. What is does your canvas look like? What are your thoughts on what you can add to the world around you? What gift can you give to ignite change? What barriers can you help break around you or around others? What will you stand for? Who will you stand for? Who can you serve?
Step 4: Read and respond to other students' posts
Read other students' posts and respond to at least two of them. In addition to any other comments you may have, respond to the following:
- How can you further the conversation? What can you add, question, expand on?
- What struggles and thoughts do you share with your classmate?
- Can you connect with any classmates who want to make the same changes you do?
Use your personal experience, if it's relevant, to support or debate other students' posts. If differences of opinion occur, debate the issues professionally and provide examples to support opinions.
Grading and Submission:
To receive the full credit, you must submit initial response on time and respond to two of your classmates on time. Please respond in full sentences and be as detailed as possible. Your initial post should be around 250-300 words while your responses should be at least 150 words and go beyond "I agree/disagree." You may also refer to the rubric attached.
The following Canvas Guides will help you successfully submit this assignment and review your feedback:
Explanation & Answer
View attached explanation and answer. Let me know if you have any questions.
Social Change Discussion
Social change is a change concerning how people interact and relate in relation to social and
cultural institutions. These social changes can result in significant consequences in society.
Everyone has the power to initiate or drive a social change in an individual around them or in the
community at large. This can be achieved by recognizing that we all have a social responsibility
to help others and carry out activism activities.
From the article, people can bring change to their society thro...