What kind of test measures unconscious aspects of personality?
2. Which best demonstrates Watson's and Skinner's beliefs regarding behaviorism?
a. A child acts selfishly due to his id.
b. A man donates to charity because his parents reward this behavior.
c. A child becomes an engineer due to her genes.
d. A woman becomes a lawyer because she has a need for achievement.
3. Eysenck would classify a melancholic personality type as
a. introverted and unstable.
b. extraverted and unstable.
c. introverted and self-assured.
d. extraverted and dominant.
4. Beth prefers to spend her time alone and very rarely does something spontaneous. She would be described by Eysenck as
a. tough minded.
5. Karen Horney's views differed from those of Sigmund Freud in that she believed
a. sexual impulses are less important than social relationships in childhood.
b. young girls experience penis envy when they discover that boys have a penis.
c. there are only four stages of sexual development.
d. women should remain at home and care for children.
6. Joshua developed an assessment tool to determine a person's level of
depression. However, upon repeated trials, he comes to find that the
test is actually a better measure of self-esteem. Joshua's depression
measure is not very ____.
7. Kelley has devoted her weekends to working in a homeless shelter. Skinner would most likely explain this by saying
a. she has been rewarded for altruistic behaviors.
b. she did not receive enough nurturance from her mother.
c. she has irrational beliefs about the value of such work.
d. she is exhibiting reaction formation.
8. Freud's work may be criticized because
a. the latency stage is not as sexually latent as Freud believed.
b. id, ego and superego are difficult to measure.
c. Freud's subjects were individuals who sought therapy and could afford to pay for it.
d. all of the above
9. Individualists emphasize ____ and collectivists emphasize ____.
a. other's goals; self-goals
b. community goals; personal goals
c. group goals; private goals
d. personal goals; community goals
10. Immigrants who give up their language and customs when they come to the United States are said to be
b. partially blended.
d. none of these