Read the excerpt from “The Open Window” by H. H. Munro:
“I hope you don’t mind the open window,” said Mrs. Sappleton briskly; “my husband and brothers will be home directly from shooting, and they always come in this way. They’ve been out for snipe in the marshes today, so they’ll make a fine mess over my poor carpets. So like you men-folk, isn’t it?”
What is the connotative meaning of the underlined word and how does this meaning contribute to the cultural context of the story?
1.The connotative meaning is adequate; it establishes that during this time, women enjoyed attending to household duties.
2. The connotative meaning is delicate; it establishes that during this time, women were experts in cleaning.
3. The connotative meaning is refined; it establishes that during this time, hunting was considered a gentleman’s sport.
4. The connotative meaning is complete; it establishes that during this time, domestic tasks were considered the responsibility of women.
2.) What is one characteristic of a procedural text?
1. It uses flowery language to describe its subject.
2. It uses sensory details to give the reader a firsthand experience.
3. It uses challenging vocabulary to help educate its readers.
4. It uses direct language to ensure readability.
3.) When is jargon used in informational texts?
1. It may be used when the writer cannot think of a suitable word to use as a substitute.
2.It may be used when the intended audience for the writing is a general audience.
3. It may be used when the purpose for the text is to educate.
4. It may be used when it appears with a diagram or graphic that helps the reader visualize what it represents.
4.) Read the excerpt from a technical document:
Please circle the options that best represent you.
Age: 18-25 26-33 34-42 43-55 56-64 65 and up
Sex: Male Female
Caucasian Latino/Hispanic African American Asian/Pacific Islander
Under 15k 16k-25k 26k-35k 35k-45k 46k-55k 56k-65k
65k-75k 76k-85k 86k-95k 96k-150k 150k and up
Based on the root, what is the most likely definition for the underlined word?
1. demo– is a root word meaning "information"; –graph– is a root word meaning "written"
2. demo– is a root word meaning "people"; –graph– is a root word meaning "background"
3. demo– is a root word meaning "free"; –graph– is a root word meaning "chart"
4. demo– is a root word meaning "people"; –graph– is a root word meaning "written"