According to the textbook, prison reform is often effectuated by and through
the legislature. Often, these changes are meant for improvement; however, they
can have an unintended consequence. Imagine that you are a state legislator that
heads a committee for the Department of Corrections. Your responsibilities
include recommending improvements to the correctional system, both domestic and
international, (e.g., Guantanamo Bay). Go to Cornell University Law School’s
Website, located at http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/eighth_amendment, and
review the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Suggest two (2) actions that the corrections system can take in order to
attain higher levels of professionalism. Provide a rationale for your
- Take a position as to whether or not conditions of correctional facilities
circumvent the “cruel and unusual punishment standard” of the Eighth Amendment.
Provide a rationale for your response.
- Support or refute the removal of corporal punishment from the U.S.
corrections system. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Create an argument for or against intermediate sanctions as a deterrent of
crime. Support your viewpoint with one (1) example of intermediate sanctions
that reflects your opinion.
- Debate whether or not correctional facilities are adequately equipped to
deal with mentally ill inmates. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least two (2) quality references. Note: Wikipedia
and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Determine the U.S. Constitutional amendments that apply to correctional
management and operations.
- Recommend improvements to selected areas of corrections.
- Defend the purposes of corrections.
- Examine the reform of American criminal justice beginning with 15th century
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in correctional
- Write clearly and concisely about correctional facility policies using
proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following
rubric found here.