MATH 012 QUIZ 1
Professor: A. Wimbish
The quiz is worth 100 points.
This quiz is open book and open notes. This means that you may refer to your textbook, notes, and
online classroom materials, but you may not consult anyone. You may take as much time as you wish,
before Sunday 11:59PM.
You must show your work to receive full credit. If you do not show your work, you may earn
only partial or no credit at the discretion of the professor. Please type your work in your copy of
the quiz, or if you prefer, create a document containing your work. Scanned work is acceptable also. Be
sure to include your name in the document. You may attach additional sheets of your work, if
necessary. Make sure that all pages are legible AND right side up.
Consult the Additional Information portion of the online Syllabus for options regarding the submission
of your quiz. If you have any questions, please contact me by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SHORT ANSWER. Write the word or phrase that best completes each statement or answers the question.
Solve and check the linear equation.
1) 5x - (2x - 1) = 2
2) 0.40(30) + 0.70x = 0.60(30 + x)
Solve the equation.
x x 7
3) = +
2 3 2
x+4 5 x-1
Solve the formula for the specified variable. PA section 1.5
5) A = h(a + b)
Solve the problem.
6) A car travels 400 miles on level terrain in the same amount of time it travels 160 miles on
mountainous terrain. If the rate of the car is 30 miles per hour less in the mountains than
on level ground, find its rate in the mountains.
7) The amount of water used to take a shower varies directly as the amount of time that the
shower is in use. A shower lasting 20 minutes requires 12 gallons of water. Find the
amount of water used in a shower lasting 12 minutes.
8) If the first and third of three consecutive odd integers are added, the result is 69 less than
five times the second integer. Find the third integer.
9) Five divided by the sum of a number and 9, minus the quotient of 3 and the difference of
the number and 9 is equal to 6 times the reciprocal of the difference of the number squared
and 81. What is the number?
10) A rectangular lot whose perimeter is 440 feet is fenced along three sides. An expensive
fencing along the lot's length costs $25 per foot , and an inexpensive fencing along the two
side widths costs only $10 per foot. The total cost of the fencing along the three sides comes
to $5150. What are the lot's dimensions?
BONUS - 5 Points
11) A speedboat moves at a rate of 11 km/hr in still water. How long will it take someone to
ride the boat 40 km downstream if the river's current moves at a rate of 9 km/hr?
Purchase answer to see full