Assignment 1.1: Industrialization After the Civil War Thesis and Outline
Due Week 3 and worth 70 points
the Civil War, the United States became a much more industrialized
society. Between 1865 and 1920, industrialization improved American life
in many ways. However, industrialization also created problems
for American society. Consider events that took place after the Civil War
and discuss ways that industrialization affected the U.S. between 1865
the first part of this assignment you will create a thesis statement. A
thesis statement is usually a single sentence somewhere in your first
paragraph that presents your main idea to the reader. The body of the
essay organizes the material you gather and present in support of your
main idea. Keep in mind that a thesis is an interpretation of a question
or subject, not the subject itself. (Note: Please consult the Purdue
OWL Website with tips on how to construct a proper thesis; the website
can be found at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/01/
For the next part of this assignment you will create an outline of the
main points you want to address in this paper. This outline will serve
as the basis for your Assignment 1.2 Final Draft. (Note: Please use the
Purdue Owl Website to assist you with this assignment;this website can
be accessed at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/2/55/
1. Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences long in which you:
- State your thesis on how industrialization after the Civil War
influenced U.S. society, economy, and politics. Justify your response.
2. Write a one to two (1-2) page outline in which you:
- Determine three (3) major aspects of industrialization between 1865
and 1920 that influenced U.S. society, economy, and politics. (Consider
issues such as geography, entrepreneurship, legislative representation,
- List five (5) specific groups that were affected by
industrialization. Provide two (2) examples for each group describing
how the group was affected. (Consider issues such as race, ethnicity,
gender, child labor, etc.)
- List five (5) ways that industrialization affected the life of the average working American during this period.
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the
student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date.
The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required
assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify and discuss the different ways that the Civil War,
Reconstruction, and Industrialization after the Civil War have shaped
- Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government
have influenced the direction of historical and social development in
the United States.
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil War.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporary U.S. history.
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using proper writing mechanics.