Consider the following scenario:
You are a human resource manager for a national organization with offices in all four U.S. time zones. You have been tasked with facilitating the launch of a virtual team that will collaborate on an important and highly confidential project. Team members will come from all major business units of the organization, and will be made up primarily of senior managers and directors. The team is expected to have its orientation meeting in two weeks, and will present the finished project to executive management 90 days after the orientation meeting.
You are expected to provide this team with guidance that will help with the launch. Your deliverables for this task are to provide specific guidance in two areas:
- Recommendations for the team charter: Offer guidance on the development of this team's contract as a group. What ground rules would you recommend? What counsel do you have to offer in terms of team members setting expectations with each other? How do you recommend that conflicts be resolved? How do you suggest the team leadership concerns be addressed?
- Recommendations for communications and collaboration technology: Recommend technology choices that will support this team's virtual collaboration. Be specific in your recommendations about the use of synchronous and asynchronous technologies. Highlight the advantages and disadvantages of each, and give examples of the appropriate and inappropriate uses of both types of technologies. Provide recommendations of technologies for brainstorming and problem-solving. Offer advice on shared work platforms that are appropriate to the technologies. For example, what form of communication is best for resolving conflicts?
Write a paper that offers your thorough and detailed recommendations for each of these two topics, while being as concise as possible. Support each of your recommendations with references from your research.
Your paper should contain two distinct sections: Team Charter Recommendations and Communications and Collaboration Technology Recommendations. Include the following:
- Title page.
- Introduction (include a brief overview of the scenario).
- Team Charter Recommendations:
- Executive Summary (1–2 paragraphs).
- Communications and Collaboration Technology Recommendations:
- Executive Summary (1–2 paragraphs).
- Conclusion (in 1–2 paragraphs, summarize your recommendations and the results you expect).
- References page, including a minimum of three research resources. Follow APA guidelines for formatting and citing your resources.
There is no exact number of pages required for this assessment. Focus on fully addressing the assessment requirements. Note: If your paper is only two pages in length, you have not fully addressed the assessment; and if it is twenty pages, you have written far too much.
You will meet the requirements of the assignment and deliver on the expectations of the senior managers when you provide them with concrete, specific, actionable ideas on how to formulate their team charter-- their constitution, their rules of the road, their bylaws as a functioning team. Include the very important areas called out here: recommendations for conflict resolution, suggestions for team leadership concerns.
Your second charge is to recommend the communications and collaboration technology that will best support this specific team and best meet their needs.
Include recommendations that are specific, actionable, relevant and results-oriented; edit out anything that is not. Support your recommendations with credible resources. Address each of the specifics identified for you. Keep your client in mind. Take advantage of the opportunity to provide the required executive summary in each of the two sections of this assignment. Demonstrate the academic rigor expected here by fully researching the areas of virtual team collaboration identified in this assignment and synthesizing that research into specific recommendations required by this assignment.