RESEARCH ASSIGNMENT #3
INSTRUCTIONS: Read each hypothetical and answer the question that follows. For each of your
answers, you must provide the web link from the webpage you used to find the authority that is
applicable to the particular question. Simply copy the link and paste it after your answer. Ensure that
the sources you choose are reputable and valid.
1. Mark runs a small business with his business partner, Frank. His daughter, Amy, wants to make some
extra money and asks her father for a part-time job. What information do you need to know about this
situation to determine if Mark could face liability under the FLSA if he employs Amy?
2. ABC Corp is considering a consolidation of manufacturing sites to cut costs. It currently has 5
manufacturing facilities. ABC is considering closing the two smallest facilities and ramping up
production in the three larger facilities. The downside of this plan is that lots of employees will be let
go. What do you need to know about each facility to determine whether the WARN Act requires 60days notice of the pending foreclosure?
3. Martha is an employee of ABC Corp. She is walking down the stairs in the corporate office, trips, and
breaks her ankle. Because of the nature of her work requires standing and walking, she is unable to
work for several weeks. What benefits do worker’s compensation laws provide to her and her
employer? What are the disadvantages to Martha?
4. ABC Corp manufactures steel. The manufacturing facility contains smelters that are very hot to the
touch and large machines with moving parts. What are the potential OSHA compliance issues ABC Corp
5. Sandra works for ABC Corp. She recently learned that she is pregnant. She knows that she will want
to take some time away from work after having her baby to build the mother-child bond. She has 5
weeks of paid leave and 1 week of sick leave available. What do we need to know to determine how
much time Sandra could possibly take off from work?
Source: J.M. Gordon, Business Law: An Introduction, http://thebusinessprofessor.com/videos/startuplaw/legal-environment-of-business/
Purchase answer to see full