For the first Case Assignment, please answer the following questions. You can submit your paper in a Question and Answer format. In other words, list the questions and provide a short answer to each.
- Which one of the major achievements in public health identified in Bouldin, E. (2010) is especially interesting to you?
- Briefly describe the achievement, in a paragraph or two.
- In what era did this achievement occur?
- Briefly discuss the historical context of the development. What was happening during that time period? What spurred the development of the public health achievement? Please write 2–3 paragraphs about this, and be sure to cite sources rather than simply stating your opinion.
- Was the issue viewed differently then, as compared to the way that it is viewed today? Please explain in 2–3 paragraphs and be sure to cite sources rather than simply stating your opinion.
Length: 2–3 pages, excluding title page and references.
Assessment and Grading: Your paper will be assessed based on the grading rubric that is linked within the course. Review the rubric before you begin, so you are sure to meet each of the criteria.
In order to earn full credit
In your discussion, be sure to reference Chapter 1: History and Development of Public Health. In: Andresen, A. & Bouldin, E. (2010) Public Health Foundations: Concepts and Practices.
Also, draw upon a broad base of scholarly literature to support your statements. Web sites and fact sheets may be a useful starting point; however, you are expected to locate peer-reviewed readings on your topic from the electronic library.
You must clearly show that you have read the module homepage and the required background materials that relate to this assignment. You are welcome to do research in addition to -- but not instead of -- the required readings.
Please write your paper in your own words. That is the only way I can evaluate your level of understanding.
Even though the papers must be written in your own words, you are required to use scholarly and professional sources to support your statement. Cite sources for any statement of fact or idea that is not common knowledge. You must cite the sources within the body of the paper and include a reference list at the end of the paper.
Note: Wikipedia is not an acceptable source of information. Use credible, professional, and scholarly sources such as peer-reviewed journal articles from the Online Library, and government, university, or nonprofit organizations’ Web sites.
Quotes are very rarely needed; if necessary, they should comprise less than 10% of a paper and must be properly cited.
Your papers will be evaluated on the following factors:
- References - citations are used within the body of the paper any time you state a fact or idea that is not common knowledge. A reference list is included at the end of the paper.
- Precision - you follow all instructions and you answer each part of the assignment.
- Breadth - you show broad knowledge of the module’s topic.
- Depth - you go into detail to show more critical thought about the specific tasks or questions in the assignment.
- Clarity - the extent to which you elaborate and include discussion or examples as asked.
- Application - the extent to which you apply the information to a real-life situation related to the assignment, if asked.
Written an APA format with Cover page.
Bouldin, E. (2010). Chapter 1: History and Development of Public Health. In: Andresen, A. & Bouldin, E. (2010) Public Health Foundations: Concepts and Practices. Jossey-Bass Publishers. Hoboken, NJ. eISBN: 9780470890165. Available in eBrary.
Chacko L., & Chacko, R. (2010). Chapter 2: Modern Public Health Systems. In: Andresen, A. & Bouldin, E. (2010). Public Health Foundations: Concepts and Practices. Jossey-Bass Publishers. eISBN: 9780470890165 Hoboken, NJ. Available in eBrary.
Patil, R. (2011, Jan-Mar.) Public Health Controversies: Common Characteristics. Journal of Global Infectious Diseases, 3(1), 97–98. doi: 10.4103/0974-777X.77308. PMCID: PMC3068592. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3068592/