Students, please view the "Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment" in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 1: Ethics and Code of Conduct
Due Week 3 and worth 120 points
Review Chapters 1 through 5 in the textbook. Then, research the Code of Conduct / Ethics for your city and state, as well as one to two (1-2) relevant articles that discuss codes of conduct for law enforcement officers.
Write a two to four (2-4) page paper in which you:
- Explain three (3) reasons ethics and integrity will be important in your future career choice in law enforcement.
- Determine at least two (2) aspects in which ethics, morality, and law differ in regards to affecting the decisions of your local law enforcement officers.
- Recommend at least two (2) ways law enforcement officers should use ethics, morality, and a code of conduct in both their professional and personal lives.
- Using the Law enforcement code of conduct for the state of your choosing, identify and discuss the two (2) most important aspects of the code as they relate to law enforcement activities in your state.
- Support your position with two (2) relevant and credible references, documented according to the latest edition of APA. (Note: Do not use open source sites such as Ask.com, eHow.com, Answers.com, and Wikipedia.)
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the role of ethics and integrity in the criminal justice profession, and the higher standard expected of criminal justice professionals.
- Explain the difference between ethics, morality, and the law.
- Analyze the issues pertinent to codes of conduct and / or the ethics of duty.
- Explain key elements of choice, values, and ethics.
- Recommend ways to use ethics to improve decision making in the criminal justice system.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in ethics and leadership in criminal justice.
- Write clearly and concisely about ethics and leadership in criminal justice using proper writing mechanics.