1. which enzyme combination is involved in ergosterol biosynthesis?
A) Lanosterol 14alpha demethylase and Squalene epoxidase
B) Lanosterol epoxidase and Squalene16alpha demethylase
C) Lanosterol epoxidase and Squalene14alpha demethylase
D) Lanosterol 16alpha demethylase and Squalene epoxidase
2. which of the following is not true about β-1,3-glucans?
A) They are small polymers of UDP-glucose (a nucleotide sugar)
B) They are synthesized by β-1,3-glucan synthase
C) They form a fibrous network on the inner surface of the cell wall
D) They make up 50 ‑ 60% of the dry weight of the fungal cell wall
3. The mode of action of Polyenes involve:
A) Loss of membrane integrity and influx of Ca+
B) Inhibition of reproductive function
C) binds to ergosterol
D) Destruction of pore-like molecular aggregates
4. Which of these is not a Polyene?
C) Amphotericin B
5. What adverse effects are associated with Amphotericin B?
A) Allergic reactions and Reversible renal impairment on accumulation and Hepatotoxicity
B) Allergic reactions and Nephrotoxicity
C) Reversible renal impairment on accumulation Nephrotoxicity and Hepatotoxicity
D) Allergic reactions Hepatotoxicity and Fungal infection, and Superficial and invasive candidiasis
6. What is an Allylamines mode of action?
A) Inhibit ergosterol synthesis via Lanosterol epoxidase
B) Inhibit ergosterol synthesis via Squalene 14alpha demethylase
C) Inhibit ergosterol synthesis via Squalene epoxidase
D) Inhibit ergosterol synthesis via Lanosterol 14alpha demethylase
7. Which of the following is an example of an Allylamine?
B) Amphotericin B
8. Allylamines have poor activity against:
A) Cryptococcus spp
C) Aspergillus spp.
D) Candida spp
9. What is the mode of action in Echinocandins?
A) Inhibition of protein synthesis
B) Inhibition of β-1,3-glucan synthase
C) Formation of pore-like molecular aggregates
D) Inhibit ergosterol synthesis
10. Which of the following is true of 5-fluorocytosines mechanism of action?
A) it inhibits DNA synthesis
B) it is converted into 5-fluorouracil which is incorporated into fungal RNA
C) it inhibits protein synthesis
D) ALL of the above