Due Week 8 and worth 150 points
According to the preamble to the U.S. Constitution, one (1) of the founding
philosophies of the United States is that each person, citizen or not, is
endowed with certain permanent rights. This philosophy extends even to people
who have committed crimes that warrant prison sentences. Imagine that you are a
commissioner on the Board of State Prison, and you are responsible for making
recommendations regarding inmate rights and special circumstances. Use the
Internet to research costs that an inmate could incur if he or she chooses to
challenge his or her confinement.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Analyze the legal mechanisms in which an inmate can challenge his or her
confinement. Support or refute the cost of such challenges to the state and / or
federal government. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Examine the four (4) management issues that arise as a result of inmates
with special needs. Prepare one (1) recommendation for each management issue
that effectively neutralizes each concern. Provide a rationale for your
- Determine whether the use of supermax housing violates offenders’ rights
against “cruel and unusual punishment,” as guaranteed by the Eighth Amendment to
the U.S. Constitution. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia
and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Recommend improvements to selected areas of corrections.
- Analyze various issues in corrections, including effective community
corrections programs, probation and parole, and reentry strategies.
- Propose specific components of an institutional facility model based on
effective management policies and procedures for a specified group of
- Analyze key issues involved with the correctional staff.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in correctional
- Write clearly and concisely about correctional facility policies using
proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following
rubric found here.