Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
• TWO ITEMS SELECTED--using class text and some other EXPLORE subjects below.
FIRST ITEM---Briefly respond to one of these subjects that you find especially interesting: A) Identifying key difference(s) between Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals, explaining which you prefer and why. Include a specific example of your favorite from that time. B) Identifying the where and when of the first "university" and what would you need to do for your bachelors degree at that time. (no--we don't say "baloney).
SECOND ITEM: Briefly respond to one of these subjects: A) Identify the three parts of Dante's Divine Comedy and the "tour guide" through each. Explain the choice of tour guide(s). (I won't ask why most teachers make students read just theInferno, but you can guess.). B) Quote a one or two line section (or longer--but not much longer) that you enjoy from oneof these writers: Petrarch, Chaucer, Boccaccio, or Christine de Pisan (=Pizan). Explain your choice and that writer's historical significance.
• ONE ISSUE DISCUSSED--Choose one of the three following issues and discuss in a few sentences. A) Identify which you think had a bigger impact--Thomas Aquinas or Francis of (don't call me) Assisi, and describe what you see as the most admirable part of that legacy for our own modern times. B) Identify the key advances made by Cimabue (chee-ma-boo-ee) and Giotto (ji-ot-toh). [tip: The Merriam-Webster website provides good audio for some of the names we encounter.]. Explain why these two artists were important--looking back to what came before them and looking forward to what came after them. C) Describe the Black Death's origins and its symptoms and its impact on Europe between 1347 and 1350. Using examples, describe its general impact on Europe's literature and economy, and suggest any modern analogies or potential analogies.
Building to Heaven, Writing on Earth
- Chapter 12 (pp. 405-9), Stained glass windows; Week 5 Instructor Insights
- Stained glass windows at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9727p6ozlYo
- Key differences between Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D20tG65TWic
- Early universities--chap. 12 (pp. 414-417); Aquinas and Francis (pp. 401, 416-417, 421-424)
- Chap. 13 Dante--(pp. 440-443, 454-455); Cimabue and Giotto--(pp. 434-440)
- Chapter 13 Boccaccio--(pp. 444-447, 450, 455-7), Petrarch--(pp. 447-448), Chaucer--(pp. 448-450), Chaucer; (pp. 447-451), Christine de Pisan---(pp. 449-451)
- Chapter 13 (pp. 443-446, 452), The Plague--the Black Death; map on p. 444
- The Plague at http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/black_death_of_1348_to_1350.htm