For this project, you will compose a researched response to Peter Singer’s article “America’s Shame.” You were previously asked to provide your impressions of this article. In this assignment, you will take it a step further by constructing your own well-researched positions on the topic and offer thoughtful solutions to real-world problems. This assignment allows you to assess and defend the reasonableness of personal beliefs through critical assessment of Singer’s arguments and the presentation of your own, original arguments on the subject.
Review the following:
Develop a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation summarizing the main points of the article.
Complete the following:
- Describe the portions of Singer’s article you seek to engage/critique.
- Using the tools of evaluation you have learned throughout the course, create an original argument in response to Singer’s article that advances your own thesis in light of Singer’s argument. Clearly state your argument position, using complete sentences to do so.
- Remember the nature of the stance is not important; you can agree or disagree with any point Singer makes within this article. The important thing is you construct a stance that clearly engages a portion of Singer’s text. Including properly cited examples from the article is suggested.
- As you advance your own thesis, be sure to include your position on how to address the problems that Singer discusses in his article. Again, you may agree or disagree with Singer; however, be sure to offer your own solutions to the issue of world poverty, as discussed by Singer.
- Support your argument with the use of original research. Use at least three credible, academic resources to support your positions. These should be sources other than Singer's "America's Shame" article.
Develop a 12–15-slide presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint format. Be sure to include two additional slides—one for the title and the other for references. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
ByMonday, February 16, 2015, deliver your assignment.
|Assignment 1 Grading Criteria|
|Summarize portions of Singer’s article that you wish to engage/critique.|
|Utilize tools of evaluation to create an original argument that engages Singer’s text in a way that is productive and advances your own thesis.|
|Apply research to engage Singer through the effective use of supportive evidence.|
Usage and Mechanics (16)
APA Elements (20)
Notes from professor:
The article you will be presenting is, of course,America's Shameby Princeton University's Peter Singer. This article is chock full of points to present in your summary. The whole point of this class is to examine the thinking or reasoning of others and to process it through our own reasoning. So, you will discuss how Singer says we should end world poverty and contrast it with one way YOU think we should end world poverty.
Include a title page and a reference page. Your slides will be colorful and un-cluttered, reserving the details for the notes. Use graphs, charts, photos, pictures, and sentences.