Assignment Part 1, Readings:
As a graduate student, research is a focal point of your education; therefore, it is important for you to understand how to search for and to use only credible sources in the variety of scholarly papers that you will be expected to write. You will begin this Assignment by reading about the kind of research sources you are expected to use at this level of your education. Next, you will read about compiling an annotated bibliography, and then you will learn what a literature review is. It is important that graduate students know the difference between a reference page, an annotated bibliography, and a literature review. Read the following three handouts from the KU Writing Center before you go any further with this Assignment.
Assignment Part 2, Annotated Bibliography:
Your program culminates in a capstone project in MN 600 where you bring together what you have learned and present a project to the academic community. This Assignment gives you the skills and knowledge to begin collecting credible information needed for future assignments and experience with APA citation by creating your own annotated bibliography. As you read in the annotated bibliography handout, an annotated bibliography contains two main parts: bibliographic information (in APA format) and an annotation. Annotations vary, and for this Assignment, your annotations should provide a:
- Summary of the book, article, white paper, website, or other resource
- Evaluation of resource. Is the source research related? If so, is it a qualitative or quantitative study or mixed?
- Fully assess the sources and offer comments or criticisms of it. Is it a reliable source? Is the article current? Is this source scholarly or popular? Can this source be used in a final paper?
- Application to your program or future research
For your annotated bibliography, you will annotate 10 sources with at least five scholarly (peer-reviewed, evidence-based), three articles from professional and credible websites (i.e., NIH, CDC, etc.), and the remaining two your personal choice, although still credible sources. The topic should be related to your program of study (nursing education, nursing administration, nursing informatics, or advance nursing practice).
Assignment Part 3, Reflection:
After you have compiled your annotated bibliography, reflect on the sources you used for this Assignment. For example, consider the following questions.
- What difficulties did you encounter when evaluating the credibility of your sources?
- What questions do you have about the differences between a reference page, annotated bibliography, and a literature review?
- When do you think it would be helpful or when do you think you will use a literature review in your graduate studies?
Use this guideline of the grading rubric as need. Thank you! U3-RubricR1.doc