Assignment 2: Project Paper
Due Week 8
The Project Paper focuses on a suggested topic related to art, architecture,
history, music, or literature. The project will reflect your views and
interpretation of the topic. This project is designed to help you stretch your
mind and your abilities to be the creative, innovative, and critical thinker you
Choose one (1) of the topics from the list of topic choices below. Read the
topic carefully. Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (750-1,000 words) that
responds to each of the items described in the topic.
For the topic you choose:
- Support your ideas with specific, illustrative examples. If there are
questions or points associated with your chosen topic, be sure to answer all of
the listed questions and address all of the items in that topic. If your topic
asks you to do several things related to the topic, be sure to do each of the
- While some of the topics tend to lend themselves toward particular writing
genres, you are not restricted to the specific format suggested for the
individual topic. For example, you may do an “interview,” a “proposal,” a
“letter,” a “short story,” a “blog,” an “essay,” an “article,” or any other
written genre for almost any of the topics. The project is intended to be fun as
well as informative, so feel free to be creative with the delivery of your
- Use at least three (3) good quality academic sources, with one (1) source
being the class text.
Note: Wikipedia and other
similar Websites do not qualify as academic resources. You are highly encouraged
to use the Resource Center tab at the top of your Blackboard page.
Note: Your instructor may require you to submit your topic
choice for approval before the end of Week 5.
Topic choices (pick 1):
- Office Art Memo.
Memorandum. Your boss, who knows you have been taking a humanities
class since he pays for your tuition reimbursement, has tasked you with managing
the art budget for your company, expecting you to choose various pieces of art
for the new corporate offices. (Note: Replicas of the works are acceptable
since they are more cost-efficient and you are working on a budget.) Include
- Identify three (3) examples of 19th century Impressionist painting or
sculpture and three (3) Post-Impressionist works. Explain how the six (6) pieces
of art fall into these two (2) styles.
- In a memo, describe the appearance of your six (6) choices to your CEO so he
or she will know what the art looks like and where it would be placed in the
- Explain why each piece is considered to be historically significant.
- Explain how each piece “fits” your company’s overall (or desired) corporate
image. Keep in mind that a piece of art is supposed to “say” something about the
owner, so describe what would these pieces of art say about your
- New Composition.
Speech. Your uncle’s birthday is in two (2) months, and everyone knows
that he loves almost all kinds of music. As a birthday gift for him, you want to
have a special piece of music composed in his honor which will be played at a
family birthday celebration. Write a speech that you will make to the composer’s
agent. Include the following:
- Narrow your choices down to three (3) composers you’ve studied in this
course. Choose one (1) of the composers and explain why you want him to write
the “birthday present” music.
- Explain why the other two (2) composers were ultimately not selected.
- Specifically identify the musical elements in the composer’s style that you
would like to be included in the new music written for your uncle.
- Describe what sort of emotion is generated by listening to the works of your
selected composer; in other words, what do you want your uncle to “feel” as he
hears the music, and why is this composer so perfect for this
- Harlem Renaissance Poets.
Essay & Poem. Choose two (2) poems by different authors from the
Harlem Renaissance. Write an essay that:
- Describes each author’s role and importance within the Harlem
- Identify the elements in each of their poems in which you see evidence of
the “double-consciousness” being expressed by each author.
- Fully describe at least two (2) primary themes you see in the poetry written
during this time period, referring to specific lines in each of the poems.
- Write your own poem that expresses these identified themes of the Harlem
- Women’s Roles Then &
Now.Script. Script a conversation between two (2) notable women
from the 18th and / or 19th century on the roles women should play in society.
Within the dialogue, include:
- Biographical information for each woman.
- The historical status for women in general during the time period in which
each woman lived.
- What opinions each of the women might have on the role the women should play
in society during their lifetimes.
- What each of the women might think about women’s current
- Other topic choice recommended and approved by the professor and
supported by the grading rubric.
The Project Paper will be graded on:
- The level to which the instructions were followed.
- The extent to which all four (4) parts in the topic were
- The adequacy of information, examples, and details which support the general
claim or main idea.
- The clarity and relevance of the explanations and descriptions.
- Adherence to standard rules of grammar, punctuation, and
- The inclusion of three (3) required references (two  additional sources
besides your textbook) documented using APA style.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; references must follow APA Style format. Check with your
professor for any additional instructions specific to the selected topic. (Note:
Students can find APA style materials located in the course shell for
- Include a cover page containing the tile of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to
- Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic
expressions within a historical context.
- Examine the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and
socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.
- Identify major historical developments in world cultures from the
Renaissance to the contemporary period.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the study of
- Write clearly and concisely about world cultures using proper writing