Unformatted Attachment Preview
General Psychology - Psych 1010
Research paper (50 pts): Using the topic you have selected from your APA.org and Operational
definition assignment (or one from the textbook that you would be interested in learning more
about) you are to write a research paper. Using a minimum of four empirical references (not
including the textbook), write a 5 or more page paper on the topic (Wikipedia is not allowed). You
may only use scholarly resources which includes textbooks and professional journals. It must be
written in APA style format (www.owl.purdue has a great tutorial on how to do this). Make certain
your sources are accurately cited throughout the text and on the reference page. Papers are to be
submitted via Canvas.
Tips for success: This needs to be clean, strong work, and – very importantly – it should show your
thinking and learning clearly, using engaging writing that follows standard writing conventions and
mechanics (e.g. spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, paragraph construction.) Snow’s Student
Writing Center staff are prepared to help students with the writing. If you seek their help, be sure to
bring in the specific description of the assignment you are doing for THIS class so they can best
Your assignment will have the following characteristics:
1. (5 pts) A clear explanation of what the assignment is that you are working with. This could be
done with a good title, but may need more explaining. Let the reader know what the purpose of the
paper is, what you will be writing about.
3. (10 pts) Clearly tied to course material. Be sure to give clear indication of how the work is tied
to course material. This is likely to take a few paragraphs. One way to do this is to describe how the
assignment helped you learn some particular course content. Be sure to cite your textbook into the
assignment so that the reader knows a) what concept you are discussing b) what the concept is, c)
where it can be found in which textbook.
4. (10 pts). Follow APA guidelines here!! NO CREATIVE IMAGES!! The idea is to create a form
of the work that you would feel good about that shows off your understanding of APA format.
5. (10 pts) Includes 2-3 paragraphs of good reflective writing. Reflective writing is a technique to
show your thinking and learning. Below are listed some prompts that can use to guide your
reflection. You could take 3 prompts and write a paragraph about each or you could write a few
paragraphs about 2 prompts, etc. You don’t have to use the prompts provided. You can create your
own. Be sure to connect your reflections to the specific bits of the assignment to which you are
• Hoes does this assignment connect with what you have learned in another Gen Ed
• How did this assignment influence your understanding of the world? Did it challenge any
of your assumptions?
• Did the assignment possibly peak your interest to investigate a future occupation in
psychology? If so, explain what it was that captured your attention and why.
• Why did you pick this topic to concentrate on? What does it demonstrate about your
• How does the assignment illustrate the growth/change/progression you have had in this
Reseaerch Paper Sequence of Events:
1- You pick a topic to write on
2- You research the topic
3- You write a first draft
4- You take that first draft to the Writing Center for help/review
5- You correct your paper per the advice you receive from the Writing Center
6- Once you make the corrections, then and only then, do you post the finished
paper to Canvas.
Correct spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, paragraph construction, etc. adds to
the overall ease of reading the paper and professional appearance and should be
considered a MUST as mistakes will be marked down!