Topic: You may choose any of the following topics as it relates to the literature selections you have read or will have completely by the end of this semester. Whatever your choice of subject, your paper must focus on an analysis of the literature in your book as it relates to that subject. You may not do a biography of an author.
1. Ancient World- Definition and Discovery / The Ideal Hero / A Woman's Life
2. The Middle Ages- (610-1450)- Exile and Journey / Family and Friendship / The Quest
3. The Renaissance- (1300-1674)- Religion and Worship / Argument and Authority
Length: Your final paper should be about 1500-2000 words.
Sources: You MUST have all three of the following: (1) 4 journal/magazine/periodical sources from the AVL, (2) 1 book other than your textbook. You will need a minimum of five sources that are sufficiently varied in type and author to show breadth and depth. Remember also to keep in mind the validity or credibility of your sources, whether these are well-researched works by unbiased authors as discussed in class. Failure to have the minimum number and types of required sources will result in an automatic deduction of five points off the top of your research paper grade.
Format: Your manuscript should be in MLA (Modern Language Association) format, and a portion of your grade will be based on your strict adherence to those requirements. Everything MUST be typed.
What you will turn in when your final paper is due:
1. Manuscript- that's the paper itself
2. Work cited page attached to the manuscript
3. Printed copies of all your sources with the information which you used highlighted. This is not the Works Cited page but literal copies of the pages of sources you cited on the WC page.
Literature Criticism Resources
AVL Alabama Virtual Library- http://www.avl.lib.al.us