Assignment 2: Sexual Offending Risk Assessment
Risk assessment is the process of forensic mental health professionals for determining the risk that a sex offender presents to the community at large.
Using resources from the professional literature, research risk assessment tools used with the sex offender population. The literature may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu and .gov).
In a 3- to 4-page paper in a Microsoft Word document, address the following:
- Identify two reasons that a forensic mental health professional would be called to complete a risk assessment for a sex offender.
- Explain why risk assessment measures are widely used with the sex offender population. What do assessment measures hope to achieve?
- Describe two types of risk assessment instruments or methods utilized with the sex offender population. What is the research support for utilization of these instruments?
- Discuss the reasons that a sex offender is compared to other sex offenders when conducting a sex offender risk assessment.
- Identify one or more specific risk assessment measures utilized for female sex offenders.
- By Wednesday, June 28, 2017, save your paper as M4_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc and submit it to the M4 Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria|
|Identified two reasons that a forensic mental health professional would be called to complete a risk assessment for a sex offender.|
|Explained why risk assessment measures are widely used with the sex offender population and what they aim to achieve.|
|Described two types of risk assessment instruments that are utilized with the sex offender population and the associated research.|
|Discussed the reasons that a sex offender is compared to other sex offenders when conducting a sex offender risk assessment.|
|Identified one or more specific risk assessment measures utilized for female sex offenders.|
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.|
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Purchase answer to see full attachment
Explanation & Answer
Sexual Offending Risk Assessment - Outline
Thesis Statement: Risk assessment for sex offenders aims at predicting their likelihood to revert
to initial criminal behavior and prevent that from happening through the appropriate intervention
II. Forensic mental health assessment
A. Altering intervention
B. Fitness for intervention techniques
III. Reason for risk assessment among sexual offenders
IV. Risk assessment instruments
V. Comparison with other offenders
VI. Risk assessment for female offenders
Running head: SEXUAL OFFENDING RISK ASSESSMENT
Sexual Offending Risk Assessment
SEXUAL OFFENDING RISK ASSESSMENT
Sexual Offending Risk Assessment
Risk assessment for offenders is the prediction of their likelihood to commit a crime of a
similar nature in future. Essentially, it is a way to analyze the danger that a person who has
committed a crime in the past poses to the community. Sexual offender risk assessment serves
many purposes through the intervention progress of an offender. In the adjudication process, the
prediction of a high risk to the public most likely attracts a longer sentence to keep an offender
from reverting to initial criminal behavior (Ackerman et al., 2011). Risk assessment for sex
offenders aims at predicting their likelihood to return to initial criminal behavior and prevent that
from happening through the appropriate intervention methods.
A forensic mental health professional is needed for the risk assessment of a sexual
offender due to various reasons. One of such would be the clinical assess...