Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
Go to the Federal Bureau of Prisons’ (BOP) Website, and review the “Resources
For Victims & Witnesses,” located at
http://www.bop.gov/resources/victim_resources.jsp. Next, go to the American
Correctional Association Website, and review the ACA Code of Ethics, located at
http://www.counseling.org/resources/aca-code-of-ethics.pdf. Lastly, go to
Cornell University Law Schools’ Website, and review “18 U.S. Code Crime § 3771 –
Crime victims’ rights,” located at
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1) Examine the significant manner in which the
Crime Victims' Rights Act protects the rights of crime victims. Provide your
opinion of the effectiveness of this piece of legislation. Justify your
2) Determine whether or not victim impact
statements add value during sentencing and parole hearings. Provide a rationale
for your response.
3) Debate which is more important to a victim: the
right to be notified of proceeding or the right to participate in a proceeding.
Provide a rationale for your response.
4) Review the following three (3) statements, and
determine the key ethical responsibilities of corrections personnel associated
- “Our job is not to punish.”
- “Legal liability issues.”
- “The rules don’t apply."
5) Recommend two (2) strategies for ensuring that
correctional employees (e.g., correctional staff, administrators, parole
officers, probation officers, etc.) adhere to the ACA Code of Ethics.
6) Debate the importance of victims having a voice
in the legal process.
7) Use at least three (3) quality references. Note:
Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Defend the purposes of corrections.
- Analyze important issues facing the correctional enterprise today, including
privatization, special needs populations, and disparities pertaining to race,
religion, and economics.
- Analyze key issues pertinent to victims of crime.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in correctional
- Write clearly and concisely about correctional facility policies using
proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following
rubric found here.