Assignment 4: Software Developer Development and Improvement
Due Week 9 and worth 60 points
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: an improvement plan and a
PowerPoint presentation. You must submit the two (2) sections as separate files
for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the
section of the assignment it is written for.
Section 1: Improvement Plan
Suppose you are working as a senior software development manager in a
software house. The company develops custom software for clients. In one of the
development projects, a postmortem analysis reveals that a particular developer
out of a team of five (5) was responsible for the major failure of the developed
software product. This has caused the project to run 20% behind schedule and
exceed its monetary budget by 30%. Initial estimates point to an additional
twelve (12) weeks from the original 36-week effort to correct the failures. You
have been asked by your supervisor to create an improvement plan to address
these issues using the People
Capability Maturity Model (P-CMM).
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
- Evaluate the key practices and improvement activities from the people
capability maturity model and recommend the practices you would use to address
the software failure.
- Describe an appropriate strategy for implementing the recommended
improvement activities that you have identified.
- Explain how to measure the return on the company investment after applying
the key practices and improvement activities.
- Use at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia
and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Section 1 of this assignment must follow these formatting
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
Section 2: PowerPoint Presentation
You have also been asked to develop a presentation to be shown to your CEO
to explain why you have chosen to implement the specific strategy outlined in
your improvement plan.
Prepare a seven to ten (7-10) slide PowerPoint presentation in which
- Summarize the main points in the improvement plan.
- Create bulleted speaking notes for the presentation to the executive board
in the Notes section of the PowerPoint. Note: You may create or assume any
fictitious names, data, or scenarios that have not been established in this
assignment for a realistic flow of communication.
- Use a professional technically written style to graphically convey the