Unit 14 Lab
1. This is a west coast subtropical desert, caused by cold upwelling ocean currents (air
chilled by contact with these cold waters is more dense and thus resists rising and
2. This is a subtropical desert near the Tropic of Capricorn, where descending dry air
3. About 270 feet below sea level
5. alluvial fan
6. The mountains to the west of Death Valley get more precipitation than the mountains to
the east of Death Valley, resulting in more weathering of the bedrock, and therefore more
7. west to east
8. 2 miles
9. more moisture, and therefore more vegetation to the east
10. alluvial fan
11. One is made of dark-colored sediment derived from dark-colored source rocks; the other
is dominated by light-colored sediment derived from light colored source rocks.
12. cross beds
13. D) a ﬁeld of sand dunes
16. The Zagros Mountains are caused by extensional tectonics, as indicated by the faultblock Mountains there. The Basin & Range, on the other hand, is compressional, as
indicated by anticlines and synclines.
17. It gets much smaller.
18. 1363 feet below sea level.
This is a screen shot from Google Earth Clement Valla where it creates an impression that there
is a unified image where the surface appears to look broken.
Global Climate Change Lab
A) CONSENUS - Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are rising as a direct result of
man-made CO2 emissions from the burning of fossil fuel. This is a consensus because
only one group of scientists have been studying the atmosphere for many years and have
also been studying the effects that man-made CO2 from burning of fossil fuels have on
the atmosphere. A “recent relentless rise in CO2 shows a remarkably constant
relationship with fossil-fuel burning, and can be well accounted for based on the simple
premise that about 60 perce...