Addressing the Diversity Gap in Leadership
Health care organizations face many unprecedented challenges and opportunities. Diversity is a major challenge that continues to overwhelm management teams. This challenge is noticeable in top leadership roles in health care where a lack of diversity exists in the areas of gender, ethnicity, and race. There is a documented need for diverse leadership teams with transformational leadership skills to successfully lead organizations. Remediation of this gap is critical to the advancement of health care delivery and systems. Senior management must consider the deficiency and develop a strategic process to invoke change.
Suppose you are the executive director of the hypothetical organization Better Health Today, LLC. The board of directors has informed you that the organization has missed out on major federal funding opportunities over the past three to five years. The grant reviewer’s feedback describes the organization’s lack of diversity and community support to promote social change. The board of directors has asked you to review the issues noted in the reviewer’s feedback and provide recommendations to improve the reputation of the company.
Write a 5–6 page paper in which you:
- Based on your knowledge of leadership theory, specify two key competencies needed to improve community relations. Provide support for your rationale.
- Examine the impact that the lack of diversity has on the community meeting national public health initiatives. Analyze two of the major challenges the organization faces in improving diversity.
- As a senior level manager, compose at least two strategies designed to minimize the impact that lack of diversity may have on the organization. Recommend one approach for implementing each suggested strategy. Provide support for your recommendations.
- Design the key resources and main communication efforts required to implement the minimizing strategies that you suggested. Justify your position.
- Use at least four quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia does not meet the requirement as a quality academic resource.
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Purchase answer to see full attachment
Explanation & Answer
Please view explanation and answer below.
The Diversity Gap in Leadership
The Diversity Gap in Leadership
1. Based on your knowledge of leadership theory, specify two key competencies
needed to improve community relations. Provide support for your rationale.
Based on leadership theory, the two key competencies needed to improve
communication and diversity at workplace include strong leadership skills and visionary
leaders. Essentially, diversity also calls for committed and strong leadership skills that will
motivate the employees under them and encourage them to embrace change through
negotiation and influencing the values and culture of people. In that context, a vision for the
entire public service would be essential to connect the initiatives for diversity with broader
objectives for strategic reform (Lamm et al., 2012; Larson, 2007). The process of attaining
diversity is long-term which has to be considered a necessary part of strategic planning.
Incorporating diversity and equality into planning for the workforce assists in identifying the
knowledge, diverse skills, and experience required to drive strategies for the public service
2. Examine the impact that the lack of diversity has on the community meeting
national public health initiatives. Analyze two of the major challenges the
organization faces in improving diversity.
Diversity is progressively being regarded as an asset as opposed to a problem.
Therefore, lack of diversity may also translate to reduced quality of public service by
diminishing the understanding of the community's needs and reducing social dialogue with
the more significant population. Lack of diversity is instrumental in promoting prejudice and
discrimination, decreasing the employability of disadvantaged groups, thereby contributing to
reduced social mobility (Breslin, Pandey, & Riccucci, 2017). Lack of diversity is also an
obstacle in increasing the awareness that can help attain essential outcomes regarding policy
areas on aging populations.
Lack of diversity may also inhibit the reform agenda and reduce the practices of good
governance by decreasing the relations between citizens and the government. Consequently,
the principles of diversity should form an integral part of any public management reform
agenda. Implementing policies relating to variety may involve a couple of issues, many of
which are related to complex frameworks for regulation, rigid systems for management of the
human resource, and lack of financial resources (Breslin, Pandey, & Riccucci, 2017).
Nonetheless, the main barrier to attaining diversity is the lack of supporting evidence on the
associated benefits to a performance by the leadership in public service
Among the main challenges of implementing diversity among public service,
leadership is establishing sustainable reforms since its gains seem to be achieved very slowly
and tend to be less apparent to the outside world (Christensen, Paarlberg, &...