a. The vehicle making the turn is a motorcycle. b. There is no traffic to the right of the intersection. c. The light is red, and the driver came to a complete stop. d. The light is green, and the driver came to a complete stop.
27. Which vehicle must yield the right of way to the pedestrians?
a. The northbound vehicle has the right of way. b. The eastbound vehicle has the right of way. c. The eastbound vehicle has the right of way if it is being followed. d. The drivers must decide with hand gestures.
29. How could the motorcyclist have avoided conflict with the car?
a. The cyclist should have used hand gestures to indicate intent. b. The cyclist should have ridden in lane position 3. c. The cyclist should have maintained a greater following distance. d. The cyclist should have honked at the car.
30. How could the car have avoided conflict with the motorcyclist?
a. The driver should have checked his or her rear zones regularly. b. The driver should have driven in lane position 2. c. The driver should have increased speed. d. The driver should not have attempted to turn.
Part C: Multiple-Choice
Select the response that best completes the statement or answers the question.
31. When making a right turn, when should you begin to turn?
a. when your front bumper is even with the curb line b. when your vehicle is halfway through the intersection c. when your rear bumper is even with the curb line d. when your car door is even with the curb line
32. When approaching an uncontrolled intersection, you should perform the IPDE process at how many critical locations?
a. two b. three c. four d. one
33. How much space should a motor vehicle driver allow when passing a bicyclist?
a. eighteen inches b. two feet c. at least one-half lane d. four feet
34. Which is the correct sequence of steps to follow when changing lanes?
a. check traffic in front and rear zones, signal, and check your blind spot b. signal, check your blind spot, and check front and rear zones c. check your blind spot, signal, and check front and rear zones d. increase speed, signal, and check front and rear zones
35. Which of the following is a passive restraint?
a. child safety seat b. motorcycle helmet c. safety belt d. air bag
36. Total stopping distance involves
a. how far a car travels before the driver reacts to a hazard. b. how far a car travels after the brakes are applied. c. how far a car travels before a driver perceives a hazard. d. how far a car travels while making a stop.
37. Split traction refers to
a. maintaining traction while turning and braking. b. gaining speed while driving in a straight line. c. accelerating from a complete stop. d. braking on ice or snow.
38. When leaving a parallel parking space, you should
a. make an immediate U-turn. b. turn your front wheels to the right as you back up. c. scan your front zones and accelerate gently. d. turn your front wheels to the left before you begin backing.
39. Point of no return refers to
a. the point at which you should begin applying the IPDE process. b. the point at which you cannot safely stop at an intersection. c. crossing into another lane of traffic. d. the point at which you are four to six seconds from an intersection.
40. When preparing to join traffic, you must judge the
a. gaps between vehicles. b. speed of the traffic. c. both “a” and “b.” d. the number of cars on the road.
41. A delayed green light
a. has been green for a long time. b. allows traffic on one side of an intersection to go first. c. means a driver should prepare to stop. d. is only used on detours.
42. Typically, a left turn on red is permitted
a. when it is made onto a one-way street. b. in any place where it is not expressly prohibited. c. on a four-lane road. d. on a two-lane road.
43. The large blind spots in which a truck driver cannot see other vehicles are called
a. no-zones. b. critical points. c. passing zones. d. crucial zones.
44. When preparing to make a right turn, many truck drivers
a. swing to the left. b. get in the right lane. c. assume lane position 3. d. assume lane position 1.
45. An intersection in which several roadways meet at a circle is called a
a. roundhouse intersection. b. turnout. c. traffic circle. d. loop.
46. When encountering a stale green light, you should
a. accelerate. b. stop immediately. c. predict that the light will change. d. assume that you will have the right of way.
47. When making a turnabout, you should have at least how much visibility in all directions?
a. 200 feet b. 300 feet c. 400 feet d. 500 feet
48. When estimating your stopping distance, you should use
a. the four-second rule. b. the six-second rule. c. the time delay rule. d. the Smith System.
49. You should have at least how much tread on your tires?
a. one-half inch b. one-twelfth inch c. one-eighth inch d. one-sixteenth inch
50. In perpendicular parking, a driver parks at a right angle to the
a. traffic signal. b. intersection. c. curb. d. parking lot.