The purpose of this project is to create a plan that demonstrates your understanding of tort law.
This project requires you to identify and analyze legal issues and to make recommendations based on one or more fact patterns. The issues will relate to the concepts covered in weeks 1, 2, and 3 about the legal environment of business and business organizations.
You will also develop skills in developing a PowerPoint presentation, in writing a summary report and using critical thinking to write an in-depth comprehensive analysis.
Outcome Met by Completing this Assignment:
- recommend appropriate actions in the business environment based on an understanding of sources of law, legal process and procedure, and available remedies
- analyze tort rights, obligations, liabilities, and remedies in the business environment
NOTE:All submitted work is to be your original work (only your work). You may not use any work from another student, the Internet or an online clearinghouse. You are expected to understand the Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism Policy, and know that it is your responsibility to learn about instructor and general academic expectations with regard to proper citation of sources as specified in the APA Publication Manual, 6th Ed. (You are held accountable for in-text citations and an associated reference list only).
Read the Following Scenario
Fresh Foods (FF) is a medium-sized specialty grocery business located in the coastal city of Seaside. FF sells only fresh produce, poultry, seafood, dairy, and bakery goods. All fresh products are purchased locally. Bakery products are baked on the FF premises. FF also provides catering for residential parties and business events using only FF products.
You and your sibling, Taylor, together own and operate the grocery and catering businesses.
The FF grocery store is busy and heavily trafficked with customers every day. You and Taylor are concerned about potential accidents on the store property and other liabilities that could arise with customers and employees. You both believe you need to make some changes to reduce FF’s liabilities.
You volunteer to develop a plan to identify and minimize potential tort risks that FF faces in its grocery store operations. You and Taylor will use the plan to begin updating and refining store policies and procedures to prevent and/or minimize liabilities for FF.
For this project, you will write a plan. There are two parts to the plan. In the first part, you will create a PowerPoint presentation. The second part is a summary report.
The plan focuses on potential tort liabilities (except product liability, which you will include in a separate plan).
For the first part, you will create a PowerPoint presentation. There is no set number of slides but include a title page and a reference page. Use the note section to discuss, explain and support the ideas and conclusions presented in the presentation.
The Power Point presentation will:
- identify and describe specific tort liabilities that FF faces in its grocery store operations;
- develop and explain policies and/or procedures FF could implement to prevent or minimize these tort risks;
- evaluate and discuss how you will orient employees to apply these policies and/or procedures to prevent or minimize identified tort risks.
The second part of the plan focuses on potential product liability risks that FF faces in its catering business. You will write an in-depth comprehensive analysis and explanations to support conclusion. To complete the plan, you will write a summary report addressed to Taylor.
The Report will:
- analyze and describe the specific product liability risks that FF faces in it catering business;
- develop and explain policies and/or procedures FF could implement to prevent or minimize each specific product liability risk.
Format for Report
Create a Word or Rich Text Format (RTF) document that is double-spaced, 12-point font, Arial or Times New Roman. There is no page requirement. Write clearly and concisely.
You should use only assigned resources available in the classroom for the project
Include a title page with your name, course/section number
Use in text citations
Include a References list of cited resources
Label each part as follows:
Review the Plan
Thoroughly read the presentation and the report to ensure all required elements are present. Use the grading rubric to ensure that you gain the most points possible for this assignment.
Proofread for spelling and grammatical issues, and third person writing.
- Read the paper aloud as a first measure;
- Use the spell and grammar check in Word as a second measure;
- Have someone who has excellent English skills to proof the paper;
- Consider submitting the paper to the Effective Writing Center (EWC). The EWC will provide 4-6 areas that may need improvement.
Submit the paper in the Assignment Folder (The assignment submitted to the Assignment Folder will be considered a student’s final product and therefore ready for grading by the instructor. It is incumbent upon the student to verify the assignment is the correct submission. No exceptions!
I will provide the readings.