Assignment 1: Multi-Touch Screens vs. Mouse-Driven Screens
The following resources may be helpful when completing this assignment.
applications that run on desktop and laptop computers have, for a long
time, been designed to be driven by dragging and clicking a mouse. With
the introduction of tablet personal computers, the trend has shifted
toward using touch-based screens. We now have access to touch-based TVs,
touch-based monitors, and touch-based laptops. Touch and multi-touch
devices provide end users with the ability to interact physically with
an application much more naturally.
Imagine that you have
been assigned the task of redesigning your company’s applications to run
on all devices. Examine a multi-touch computer monitor and a
mouse-driven computer monitor and think about how the end user interacts
with an application running on each of these types of monitors.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
and contrast the metaphors used in the design of applications that run
on each type of monitor. Use Microsoft Visio, Microsoft PowerPoint, or
any other modeling tool to create.
- Differentiate between the interaction types and styles that apply to these monitors and applications running on them.
the conceptual model employed in the design of these types. Describe
the analogies and concepts these monitors expose to users, including the
task-domain objects users manipulate on the screen.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note:
Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources. You
may use the resources above or others of your choosing.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the
assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title,
and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in
the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the relationship between the cognitive principles and their application to interfaces and products.
- Explain the conceptual terms for analyzing human interaction with affordance, conceptual models, and feedback.
- Explain the importance of user abilities and characteristics in the usability of products.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in human-computer interaction.
clearly and concisely about human-computer interaction topics using
proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.