Week 4 - Assignment
read page 90-94
Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Violations
Read pages 90-94 of your course text, including the Release of
Information section, the Perspective: Examples of Recently Published
HIPAA Privacy Violations section, and Exhibits 3.3 and 3.4. Next,
select one of the cases from the list below :
Then, provide a case analysis on the HIPAA violation of patient
health information (PHI) that was present in the case you selected.
Include the following points in your case analysis:
- Give a brief summary of the case.
- What specific HIPAA privacy and security rules were broken?
- What, if any, penalties were imposed as a result of the ruling on the case?
- Do you believe the penalties imposed were sufficient for the type and scope of the infraction? Explain your answer.
- What is your understanding of the HIPAA privacy and security rules?
- What was the significance of this case with regards to health
care information systems, either in general or to the organizations that
work in this field?
- Were any other laws (besides the HIPAA laws) broken? If yes, what law(s)?
- Include a paragraph about how this particular case could apply
to your Final Proposal. What impact might lessons learned from this
particular case have on your Final Proposal case study?
The HIPAA Case Analysis:
Must be 1200 to 1800 words in length, double-spaced and formatted
according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least three scholarly sources, including a minimum of one from the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.