1. Select an example of an advancement made in biotechnology (e.g. pharmacogenetics, stem cells, GMOs, de-extinction, etc.). Describe the specific advancement and what contribution it brings to society. For full credit, explain the promises and the risks of this technology.
2. In this gel lanes: [Picture of properly prepared gel will be provided]
- Blood found at the crime scene
- Suspect 1
- Suspect 2
- Suspect 3
Based on what you have learned in lab, explain the process of DNA Fingerprinting, how and why a gel like this one may be used to convict a criminal. For full credit, be sure to explain how the restriction endonucleases (enzymes) and gel electrophoresis work. HINT: think about how the DNA gets cut.
3. A CSI lab tech has just completed as series of Kastle-Meyer tests on several red stains on a suspects shirt. In all cases after hydrogen peroxide is added a pink color appears 5-10 min later. Please answer the following questions:
A) What is the result?
C) What would also need to be done to ensure that the test and procedure are being done correctly and the results are reliable? Why might a defense attorney ask if a positive and negative control had been done properly?
4. You buy a new house and the front yard has some really nice rose bushes, but they are surrounded by lots of weeds! You don't really want to try and dig them out by hand and your nice new neighbor comes over with a bottle of weed killer. He says it shouldn't kill your roses, but you, knowing that weeds and rose are pretty similar physiologically decide to do some research. You find out the active ingredient in the weed killer diverts electrons away from NADP+. What would be the results? Explain which parts of photosynthesis would be effected and what those effects would be, how would the plant be effected? Would it be likely to hurt your roses?