Listen to the short podcast lecture by Dr. Trevor Belcher to get helpful tips for completing this assignment. Your summative assignment for this course is a Final Paper, which is due in Week Five. To ensure that you have time to process the material and produce a strong paper, this week you will create and submit an outline and an annotated bibliography for your Final Paper. You will receive feedback on your outline and annotated bibliography to help you make your Final Paper more effective. To begin, review the instructions for your Final Paper, which are listed in Week Five of your course or the “Components of Course Evaluation” section of this guide.
Then, review the ABS200 Outline and Annotated Bibliography Template, which contains the layout for this week’s assignment. Your outline must be one to two pages in length. Clearly identify the case study selected, and include major headings for the areas to be considered. See the attached ABS200 Case Study List to review the case studies and review the parameters of your chosen study. For this assignment, you will:
- Clearly define applied behavioral science and the area of psychology from which the case study is explored.
- Identify the potential source(s) and/or cause(s) of the issue that is/are relevant to the selected case study (genetic, environmental, social, cultural, organizational, etc.).
- Examine the case study by applying one psychological theory of your choice.
- Describe scientific research that is relevant to your selected case study. Include past and current findings and note any key changes.
- Identify any relevant trends in working with your intended population.
- Detail a suggested plan of action for moving forward and include the advantages and disadvantages of…
- Specify what you would do to build rapport with the clients in the selected case study.
- State ethical considerations relevant to this case.
Under each major heading, summarize your point about that heading. Subheadings should briefly summarize research that may both support and disagree with each viewpoint, if applicable. This outline will provide you with a foundation for creating your Final Paper.
In addition to your outline, submit a one- to two- page annotated bibliography of the scholarly sources you plan to utilize for your Final Paper. Each source must include the complete APA-formatted citation as well as a summary paragraph. The summary paragraph should contain four to five well-developed sentences in your own words (do not use the abstract included with journal articles) that summarizes the source and describes its applicability to your selected topic. You are required to use a minimum of six scholarly sources that are cited according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Examples of scholarly sources include peer-reviewed journal articles, research studies, professional websites with authored material, and government websites. Popular Internet sites (e.g., Wikipedia, Newsweek, New York Times) are not considered scholarly sources. The sources you select for this week’s assignment will also be used for writing your Final Paper.
For more in-depth assistance with your outline or annotated bibliography, please visit the Ashford Writing Center
located under the Learning Resources tab in the left-hand navigation panel of your online course.
Note: This assignment includes an outline and annotated bibliography. Please do not submit a rough draft of your paper. Refer to the ABS200 Outline and Annotated Bibliography Template
provided.Writing the Final Paper Outline and Annotated Bibliography
- Must be two to four double-spaced pages in length and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought. View the Critical Thinking Community website for further assistance.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis and summarizes supporting evidence.
- Must use at least six scholarly sources, five of which must be from the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center
Case Study #1 Clinical Psychology: Severe Depression
Joe is suffering from severe depression. His father, grandmother, and two uncles suffered with the same abnormal condition. One of Joe’s uncles committed suicide as a result. Joe’s depression started after he was laid off from work, and became disabling when his wife divorced him taking their kids and their home.