A general analysis report says that, if we do review at the earlier stage, the cost to fix this will be less and thus it will reduce the overall cost of the application. It is 2400% cheaper to fix any issues in development stage than in the production environment.
The graph shows you how the review process effects the cost per defect in different stages. If you do a proper review in the requirement analysis stage and start implementing the code in proper way, you will see a less no. of defects. But if you find the defect at the later stage during or after the deployment, there will be more chances of complexity of the bugs and the cost to fix them will be very very high than resolving them in the initial state.
The same applies to code review process too. If you are working on a module, each and every part of the module needs to be reviewed by somebody to check the defects in it’s earliest stage. This could be naming convention, repetitive code block, unnecessary codes, performance measure and other minor or major defects.
Advantage of Code Review
Better code always starts with review process. It highly measures the quality of the product. As I mentioned earlier, the cost per defects highly impacts if we do a review process at the earlier stage. There are few major benefits of doing a code review:
- We all are human beings. You may do some mistakes irrespective of your experience in a particular technology or module. If you just review your code by a second eye, those mistakes might caught at that time only. This way you can reduce the no. of bugs reported by the testers or end users.
- If you are working in a geographically distributed team, your coding conventions may differ and if you have some strict coding guidelines, this code review process will make it possible to recheck the standards in the code that you have written.
- There are some possibilities of repetitive code block which can be caught during a code review process. Refactoring can be done based on that.
- Unused code blocks, performance metrics etc. are some additional check points of doing a review.
- If you are new to development, this code review process will help you to find out your mistakes and help you to improve them. This is a perfect knowledge sharing mechanism.
- Find out the defects and correct them at the beginning before it commits to the source control system.
let me summarize it for you then
code review reduces the overall cost of the application, cheaper to fix any issues in development stage than in the production environment.
it also reduces the number of bugs reported by the testers or end users. it also makes it possible to recheck the standards in the code that you have written.
code review also helps one to find out your mistakes and help you to improve them. This is a perfect knowledge sharing mechanism.
Content will be erased after question is completed.