The unit 6 Assignment requires you to apply the theories, concepts, and research that we have covered so far this term to a hypothetical case study. Your answers to the questions and completed graph should consist of information from the text and supplemental readings.
You also may use sources from the Kaplan library or other credible Internet sources, but your primary sources should be the readings assigned for the course.
Academic Search Premier
After reading the case, please fully answer the questions below.
Answers to the questions and the completed graph should be prepared in a Word document, double-spaced in 12-point font and submitted to the Dropbox. Most students will need to write 2-3 pages for the case in order to address all required parts of the project.
Your final paper must be your original work; plagiarism will not be tolerated. Be sure to review the Syllabus in terms of what constitutes plagiarism.
Please make sure to provide proper credit for those sources used in your case study analysis in proper APA format. Please see the APA Quick Reference for any questions related to APA citations. You must credit authors when you:
Summarize a concept, theory or research
Use direct quotes from the text or articles
Case Study 1: Martin
Martin, a behavior analyst, is working with Sara, a 14-year-old girl with severe developmental delays who exhibits self-injurious behavior (SIB). The self-injurious behaviors included pulling her hair, biting her arm and banging her head against the wall. After conducting a functional analysis, Martin decided to employ an intervention program consisting of differential reinforcement of other (DRO) desired behavior. Martin collected data on Sara's SIB before and during the intervention. Below is a depiction of the data that Martin collected:
|Sara’s Frequency of SIB|
|BASELINE Occurrences||DRO Occurrences|
Address the following questions, and complete the following requirements:
- Create a basic line graph using Microsoft Excel, to be included in your Word document. The graph should depict the data provided in this case study. You should only need to create one graph, with SIB depicted, both in baseline and in intervention.
- What type of research design did Martin employ when working with Sara?
- According to the data, did the intervention that Martin selected work in modifying Sara's self-injurious behavior?
- Martin had considered using an ABAB reversal design when working with Sara. What are some ethical implications of selecting a reversal design when working with the type of behavior problems that Sara was exhibiting?
- Martin's supervisor requested this graph of the data he collected when working with Sara. Why are graphs useful in evaluating behavioral change?
- Discuss what a functional relationship is and how an ABA professional would use his/her understanding of functional relationships when designing an intervention. Identify whether the graph that your created using the data provided in this section depicts a functional relationship.