read Chapters 8 and 16 (p 338) of the course text. For your initial post, address the following
- Define disease management (DM) programs.
- Describe the impacts of DM programs on healthcare quality and cost.
- Identify challenges in DM programs.
- Examine a successful DM program from real life and address (a) What is its accreditation status? (b) Why is this program successful? and (c) Can it be replicated in other settings?
read Chapter 13 of the course text. For this part address the following steps:
- Step 1. Research a prevention program from a health plan. (You may use your own health insurance plan for your response.)
- Step 2. Criticize the selected health plan prevention program using TABLE 13-1 Components of a Strong Health Plan Prevention Program as the guideline.
- Step 3. Propose two recommendations for improving the weaknesses of the selected program.
Explanation & Answer
HEALTH AND MEDICAL
DISEASE MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
It is the structural treatment plan that aims at assisting individuals to better manage their
chronic diseases, maintain and even improve quality of life. The disease management program has
the intention of improving the medical treatment in long-term (Hamine et al., 2015). It is also
known as the “structured treatment program”. In certain countries such as Germany, the DMPs are
presently available for the individuals with the following chronic diseases; Breast cancer, type 1&2
diabetes, asthma and also chronic heart failure. Those patients who have more than two distinct
chronic maladies can participate in the disease management program for every illness.
The individuals with chronic diseases are more likely to utilize health care services, such
include; physician visits, prescriptions of drugs and even hospital care. The inclining number of
patients who live longer with chronic disease results in the rising healthcare expenditure and costs.
The government, employers, and families are trying their best to look for ways to mitigate
healthcare liabilities and cost...