This case assignment focuses on recognizing the link between organizational strategy and HR activities.
You are the new director of human resources at The King Company. As director, you must play a large role in resolving the organizational issues confronting the company, and develop solutions for the functional and managerial issues facing the HR department.
Click The King Company Background to review information on the Company.
[Note: You may want to download/print the company background information provided in this Module 1 so that you have it handy as you work on subsequent module assignments.]
After reading the fictional King Company case, address the following questions in a well-integrated analysis:
- Describe the current relationship between organizational strategy and HR activities at The King Company. Give three examples and analyze the relationships.
- What improvements are needed to HRM’s strategic role at King? Discuss.
For the Case Assignment, bring in information from at least four Trident library sources to help strengthen and validate your discussion.
Provide private-sector employer examples of HRM programs, systems, processes, and/or procedures as you address the assignment requirements. Provide names of the employers. Use different employer examples than what have been used previously in your other papers and courses.
Make reasonable, cost-effective assumptions in your paper. It is not an option, however, for you to hire additional help (temporary or otherwise). State your assumptions in the beginning of your discussion.
Paper length: 4-5 pages (not counting the cover and reference pages).
Your paper will be evaluated using the criteria as stated in the Case rubric. The following is a review of the rubric criteria:
- Assignment-Driven: Does the paper fully address all aspects of the assignment? Is the assignment addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
- Critical Thinking: Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
- Business Writing: Is the essay logical, well organized and well written? Are the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
- Effective Use of Information: Does the submission demonstrate that the student has read, understood, and can apply the background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by student’s use of relevant and quality sources? Do additional sources used provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
- Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing, by inclusion of proper citations (for paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all sources cited in the paper been included on the References