Religion and Politics have traditional been highly debated topics in our
society. Recently, the Pledge of Allegiance has added to this debate.
American citizens have generally recited the Pledge of Allegiance at
important ceremonies ranging from presidential inaugurations to the beginning of
the school day. The pledge has a great deal of sentimental value to many
Americans, but also creates a great deal of controversy for others.
Review the Supreme Court case Elk
Grove Unified School District v. Newdow, which highlights the debate.
Write a five to eight (5-8) page paper in which you:
- Summarize the salient points of the Supreme Court case Elk Grove Unified
School District v. Newdow.
- Discuss the levels of the court through which the case evolved before it
reached the Supreme Court.
- Explain the decision of the Supreme Court in this case in brief.
- Explain the fundamental impact that the court decision in question has had
on American society in general and on ethics in American society in particular.
Provide a rationale for the response.
- Discuss whether you believe that the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance
is a religious issue or a sign of respect for the United States.
- Discuss whether or not you think public schools should be allowed to recite
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources. Note:
Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Examine the current ethical issues inherent throughout the criminal and
civil justice systems.
- Describe the dispensation of justice through the criminal and civil justice
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the criminal
court and the judicial process in America.
- Write clearly and concisely about the American court system using proper
writing mechanics and APA style conventions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.