Flooding is a little more predictable but not necessarily. Flash flooding can occur in areas where there,s been no rain. There is a great deal of data on regional flood plains and areas with histories of flooding but do not assume that because you do not live in said region, it can not happen to you. With planing and research beforehand though neither have to take you by surprise.
Pakistan is the area on the map at high risks of flood. Pakistan has been experiencing flood because of its topography, sindh, kabul and sawat are three hazard prone rivers and due to climate and ecological condition, pakistan constantly recieved flooding every year.
That some disasters can only be survived by getting out of their way. Here's how to prepare:
Make sure you have a disaster plan.
Visit the federal emergency management agency,s flood map data base.
Lists of simple things one can do to stay safe and protect one from floods.
Before flooding occurs
1. Know the route to the nearest safe shelters that you area aware off.
2. Keep the First Aid Kit ready with extra medication for snake bite and diarrhea
3. Strong ropes for tying things
4. A radio, torch and spare batteries
5. Stocks of fresh water, dry food, candles, matchbox, kerosene etc
6. Umbrellas and bamboo sticks (to protect from snakes)
7. Higher ground where people and animals can take shelter
When you hear a flood warning
1. Tune in to your radio or watch for warning and advice
2. Keep vigil of flood warning given by local authorities
3. Keep dry food and drinking water and warm clothes ready
4. Check your emergency kit
If you need to evacuate
1. Pack clothing, essential medication, valuables, personal papers etc in water proof bags to be taken to the safe shelter.
2. Raise furniture, appliances on beds and tables
3. Put sandbags in the toilet bowl and cover all drain holes to prevent sewage back flow.
4. Do not get into water of unknown depth and current
5. Lock your house and take the recommended or known evacuation routes for your area of safe shelter.
1. Drink boiled water or use halogen tablet to purify water before drinking.
2. Keep your food covered
3. Do not let children remain on empty stomach
4. Use bleaching powder and lime to disinfect the surroundings
5. Avoid entering flood waters. If you need to enter then were proper foot wear.
6. Stay away from water over knee level.
After a Flood
1. Stay tuned to local radio.
2. Do not allow children to play in, or near, flood waters.
3. Stay away from drains, culverts.
4. Do not use electrical appliances.
5. Do not eat food, which has been in floodwaters.
6. Boil tap water.
7. Use halogen tablets before drinking.
8. be careful of snake bites, snakebites are common during floods.
Content will be erased after question is completed.