Sensation and Perception
This discussion has two options. Select one of the options and indicate which one you chose in your response.Option A:
Recruit someone you trust to help you. Have them prepare two items for
you to taste (tell them to be nice), but do not let them tell you what
they are. While they are preparing the items, find something to use as a
blindfold and plug your nose so you cannot smell. You should not be
able to see or smell the food while sampling it. As you chew, see if you
can recognize the flavor. If not, unplug your nose and see if that
helps you detect it. If that doesn’t work, take off the blindfold and
see if you can identify it.
Once you have completed this activity, provide an analysis by sharing the following as you respond:
- Were you able to determine the food without smell or sight?
- At what point did you identify the food (e.g., blindfolded with nose plugged, blindfolded with nose unplugged, or neither)?
- Analyze the relationship between taste and smell.
- Analyze the relationship between taste and sight.
Explain the processes involved in how one senses the world around them
(sight, touch, hearing, etc). If you had to give up one, which would it
be? Why? What in your life (think about home, work, school) would be
impacted by this lack of sense? How does perception influence your
Your initial post must be a minimum of 200 words and utilize at least
one scholarly source (e.g., the course textbook, a peer reviewed article
from the Ashford University Library, or a professional web source),
cited according to APA format as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.Guided Response:
Respond to at least two of your
classmates who chose a different option than you. Discuss the insights
they shared from the completed activity.
In response to Option A:
- Do you agree with their analysis of the relationship between sight, smell, and taste?
- Which do you think is more important with regards to taste?
In response to Option B:
- Would you give up the same sense that they opted to?
- Do you think they anticipated all of the challenges with the sense that they decided to give up?