must be at least 1 full page length references required: one have to be the attachment . In-text citations are required
Read NAFTA's Tomato Wars (attached) then answer the following questions
1) Was the establishment of a minimum floor price for tomatoes consistent with the free trade principles enshrined in NAFTA?
2) Why despite the establishment of a minimum floor price have imports from Mexico grown over the years?
3) Who benefits from the importation of tomatoes grown in Mexico? Who suffers?
4) Do you think that Mexican producers were dumping tomatoes in the United States?
5) Was the Commerce Department right to establish a new minimum floor price, rather than scrap the agreement and file an antidumping suit? Who would have benefited from an antidumping suit against Mexican tomato producers? Who would have suffered?
6) What do you think will be the impact of the new higher floor price? Who benefits from the higher floor price? Who suffers?
7) What do you think is the optimal government policy response here? Explain your answer.
cite for attachment
Poppe, D. (1996, Oct 01). Tomato war. Florida Trend, 39, 48. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.libproxy.troy.edu/docv...
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Purchase answer to see full attachment
Explanation & Answer
Running Head: NAFTA’S TOMATO WARS
NAFTA's Tomato Wars
NAFTA’S TOMATO WARS
Was the establishment of a minimum floor price for tomatoes consistent with the free trade
principles enshrined in NAFTA?
In the early 1990's, American farmers were worried that Mexican crops would flood the
market and put them out of business. In 1992, NAFTA (The North American free trade act)
dropped formally imposed tariffs on tomato farmers in Florida. The tomato farmers, worried
about losing business to Mexico, lobbied the United States Government to set a minimum floor
price for tomatoes (Poppe, 1996, Oct 01). This action did not affect free trade principles that are
core to NAFTA, and this action profoundly protects the principles of that agreement.
Why despite the establishment of a minimum floor price have imports from Mexico grown
over the years?
Because of optimal weather, the lack of...