Questions For Secondary Source Analysis #1 (Please Choose Only One Article from those listed below, all are in the course pack)
- Kathleen Brown’s The Anxious World of the Slaveowning Patriarch (Section 1, p.37)
- Philip Morgan’s The Effects of Paternalism Among Whites and Blacks (Section 2, p. 73)
- Sylvia Frey's The Impact of African American Resistance During the War (Section 3, p. 91)
- Edmund Morgan's Slavery and Freedom: The American Paradox (Section 4, p. 116)
Based on your reading of one of the four above articles (all are in the course pack), answer the following questions in detail, save as a .doc or .pdf, and place submit by the due date.
ANALYZING A SECONDARY SOURCE
1. Who is this author and what are his/her credentials? (you may have to do a little research here)
2. Who are the key people in this article?
3. What are the key events?
4. What are the key subjects?
5. Is this article based on primary sources or other secondary sources?
6. Name one primary source the historian uses.
7. What is the main argument or thesis?
8. How does the writer build her/his argument?
9. How would you critique or question this argument?
*Remember, you will be graded on the depth of your analysis and the detail of your answers.
ATTACHED BELOW IS THE PDF FOR THE READING ASSIGNMENT