OUTLINE AND ROUGH DRAFT PAPER ATTACHED BELOW PLEASE ADD AND TAKE OUT WHERE NEEDED!!!
Students, please view the "Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment" in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 2.2: Policemen of the World Final Paper
Due Week 10 and worth 120 points
By the mid-20th century, the United States had become the dominant force in international relations. Some have argued that the United States’ military functions as the world’s “police.” This assignment covers the manner in which this shift occurred and the consequences the United States faces as a result of its status as “policemen of the world.” Using the Internet and reputable news sources, research two (2) real-life international incidents from the past five (5) years in which:
The U.S. used military action abroad.
Controversy existed within the American public regarding U.S. involvement.
Controversy existed within the country or countries affected by U.S. involvement.
You have already developed a thesis statement and developed an outline in which you explored two (2) real-life international incidents from the past five (5) years involving the United States as they received an elevated status as a world power. Now you will develop the final paper in which you explore your main points in detail.
Prompt: Describe the manner in which the United States shifted to become the dominant force in international relations, and the consequences the United States faces as a result of its status as “policemen of the world.” Discuss two (2) international events involving the US military from the past five (5) years that can be traced back to a foreign policy created after the Civil War.
The following are examples of foreign policies created after the Civil War. Students are free to choose these or their own (please contact the instructor about a policy that is not listed).
Marshall Plan—George Marshall
Alfred Thayer Mahan’s theory of the Navy
Roosevelt Corollary—Theodore Roosevelt
Truman Doctrine—Harry Truman
Bush Doctrine—George W. Bush
Message on War—Woodrow Wilson
Four Freedoms—Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Aspects of US history since 1865 that has led to the US’s rise as a world super power policeman.
International incidents since World War II where America has taken on a policing role.
Driving forces that fueled international policy decisions involving the international
Treaties, exit strategies, elections, and wars
The rise of the United States to a world “superpower” and how that status has shaped its internal developments in recent decades.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Introduce your paper with your previously crafted thesis statement.
- Discuss two (2) international events involving the US military from the past five (5) years that can be traced back to a foreign policy created after the Civil War.
- Discuss three (3) aspects of US history since 1865 that has led to the US’s rise as a world super power policeman.
- Identify three to five (3-5) international incidents since World War II where America has taken on a policing role.
- Determine three to five (3-5) driving forces that fueled international policy decisions involving the international incidents you outlined previously. (Consider treaties, exit strategies, elections, wars, etc.)
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Write using relevant explanations, examples, and evidence that logically support ideas.
- Demonstrate correct spelling, grammar, and writing mechanics.
- Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA format. Check for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, your name, your professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the rise of the United States to a world “superpower” and how that status has shaped its internal developments in recent decades.
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil War.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporary U.S. history.
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using proper writing mechanics.