WEEK 2 QUIZ
Select the best answer for each of the questions below. There is only one best
1. _____ property is an ownership fence, which applies to resources like land that
more than one individual owns jointly.
2. A property-based legal system ___________.
A. is unimportant in Western legal systems
B. believes that law is simply the commands of the state backed up by force and
C. is contrary to the philosophy of natural law
D. does not allow for the transfer of private resources
E. allows people to exclude others from interfering with what their efforts produce
3. Which of the following statements is true of formalism?
A. It is primarily concerned with the consequences of a person’s action rather than
the action itself.
B. It lays more emphasis on end results and their evaluation.
C. It focuses more on common good rather than on individual rights.
D. It is an approach to ethics that affirms an absolute morality.
E. Its dominant form is utilitarianism.
4. Dan is a supporter of the formalist view. Which of the following is most likely to
be his belief about lying?
A. He is likely to support a lie that is told for personal gain.
B. He is likely to condemn all forms of lying.
C. He is likely to support a lie that is told for the common good.
D. He is likely to disapprove of lying only in instances that hurt people.
E. He is likely to support a lie that is harmless.
5. Which of the following statements is true of the role of judges in U.S. courts?
A. They determine the facts from conflicting evidence in a jury trial.
B. They present evidence to a jury.
C. They give no deference to the facts found by a ...