The purpose of this assignment is to familiarize yourself with Psychological literary criticism (also called Psychoanalytical literary criticism) and apply some of its tools in analyzing a short story.
- Review Psychoanalytical literary theory from the following
this video on Psychoanalytical literary criticism: Choose two main characters from one of the stories we have read in this unit.
Consider how psychological factors within the two people affect resolving this conflict.
- Identify an important conflict these two characters share (either between each other or a conflict from outside the relationship).
- Recall that the video talks not only about the Id, Ego, and Superego, but also about stress, depression, PTSD, grief, and so on.
Write three paragraphs about the following, using direct quotations and paraphrases (with in-text citations) to support your claims):
- In particular, look at different ways the characters view masculinity.
- Do varying ideas of masculinity cause, or exacerbate, the conflict?
Post a three-paragraph response
- First paragraph
- Identify the two characters and the conflict you will analyze.
- Second paragraph
- Analyze psychological factors that seem to be motivating these characters, especially in what it means to be, for example, a "good" man or a "strong" father or a "loving" husband.
- Third paragraph
- Explain how these factors and this conflict contribute to meanings of the story..