The Discussion Board (DB) is part of the core of online learning. Classroom discussion in an online environment requires the active participation of students and the instructor to create robust interaction and dialogue. Every student is expected to create an original response to the open-ended DB question as well as engage in dialogue by responding to posts created by others throughout the week. At the end of each unit, DB participation will be assessed based on both level of engagement and the quality of the contribution to the discussion.
At a minimum, each student will be expected to post an original and thoughtful response to the DB question and contribute to the weekly dialogue by responding to at least two other posts from students. The first contribution must be posted before midnight (Central Time) on Friday of each week. Two additional responses are required after Friday of each week. Students are highly encouraged to engage on the Discussion Board early and often, as that is the primary way the university tracks class attendance and participation.
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
Inmates at the prison you work in like the drug program because it gives them extra perks that they cannot get anywhere else. It is important that the inmates not malinger in order to gain access to the program because it is limited to those with actual addictions and those who desire a real recovery.
- In 5–7 paragraphs, address the following:
- In your own words, define the term malingering.
- Do you feel it is important to screen out malingering inmates who only want the program for the perks? Why or why not?
- Regardless of your stance on the question above, how would you be able to screen out malingering inmates?
- Besides perks of enrollment, what other strategies do you feel would be effective in enticing inmates to enroll in drug abuse and addiction treatment programs? Explain why?
- What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of individual counseling for drug abuse and addiction on incarcerated individuals? Explain.
- What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of group counseling for drug abuse and addiction on incarcerated individuals? Explain.