Many of the concepts that you will write about in this class will be new to you. To do well in this class, you must do the reading and outside research each week.
Assignment Type: Individual Project
Deliverable Length: 4-5 pages in the body of your paper (plus the Title page, the Abstract page, and the References page) You must do an Abstract page!
Points Possible: 100 Due Date: Tuesday night by 11:59:59 PM CT
Consider the following scenario:
You have held conversations with Precision Part's leaders and obtained the following information, which you want to use in the development of a 4-year strategic management plan.
- PPQ Parts employees now number 5,000, and all are currently employed in the United States. It plans to grow to 10,000 employees in 4 years.
- New facilities will be needed in international expansion, and PPQ Parts anticipates building most of those (80%) outside the United States.
PPQ Parts holds 5% of the world market share on small SUVs, but its goal is 9% in 4 years.
- Current stock price is $10 per share. The goal is $22 a share.
Profit margin 3-year average is 6%. Industry average during this time has also been 6%. The company goal is 13% in 4 years.
- PPQ Parts has averaged 28% employee turnover during the last 3 years. This is compared to an industry average of 25%. The goal of the company is to increase employee retention by lowering annual turnover to 17%.
- PPQ Parts contributes to all the local communities in which it is doing business. This is one of its corporate values. Current charity is 0.5% of total profits, but the company would like to raise that to 5% in 4 years.
Notice, below there are multiple questions (and multiple parts to each question) that you must answer. You may also find it helpful to do some outside research on the topics.
VERY IMPORTANT: Remember that you must use outside resources, and properly cite (in-text citations) and reference (References page entries) your sources.
A strategic management plan is vital for the company business today. Review the company scenario at the beginning of the course for additional information regarding growth goals. Create a basic strategic management plan for PPQ Parts including quantifiable goals and measures. Include the following in your report:
- Provide environmental scanning of current conditions in the area of expansion including economy, competition, political stability, and so forth.
- Address internal resource analysis such as managerial and financial strengths and weaknesses.
- Please include short-term and long-term strategic goals.
- Location consideration for implementation is vital. Please explain the benefits and limitations for expansion in your chosen area.
Submitting your assignment in APA format means that, at a minimum, you will need the following:
- Title page: Remember the running head, your title should be IN ALL CAPITALS (only the title should be all caps, the rest of the title page is sentence case).
- Abstract: This is a summary of your paper, not an introduction. Begin writing in third-person voice. You must include an Abstract with all paper in this class.
- Body: The body of your paper begins on the page following the title page and abstract page and must be double-spaced (be careful not to triple- or quadruple-space between paragraphs). The type face should be 12-pt. Times New Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics except as required for APA level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your paper for this assignment is 3–4 pages. In-text academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged.
- References page: References that align with your in-text academic sources are listed on the final page of your paper. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hang indention, italics, and upper- and lowercase usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the Reference page is not a bibliography but a further listing of the abbreviated in-text citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-text citation.
If you still have questions about APA, you can check with the librarian for assistance. If you would like to see an APA formatted paper example with formatting hints, check out this website:
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/media/pdf/20090212013008_560.pdf (Note, you may need to copy this link and paste into your browse, and you may need to “Allow” your browser to open this.)
Below is the grading rubric that I will use when grading your papers.
Percentage and Points
Deliverable requirements addressed; understanding of material and writer's message and intent are clear. The body of the paper must be a minimum of 4 to 5 double spaced 12-point font pages. Be sure that you completely answer all 4 of the questions listed above
35% / 35 pts.
Scholarly research which supports writer's position properly acknowledged and cited direct quotations may not exceed 10% of the word count of the body of the assignment deliverable (excluded title page, abstract or table of contents if used, tables, exhibits, appendices, and reference page(s). Inclusion of plagiarized content will not be tolerated and may result in adverse academic consequences. You MUST do outside research, with in-text citations and a References page.
20% / 20 pts.
Critical thinking: Position is well-justified; logical flow; examples provided where appropriate.
20% / 20 pts.
Structure: Includes introduction and conclusion; proper paragraph format; reads as a polished academic paper or professional presentation, as appropriate for the required assignment deliverable. Paper must be written at a college senior level.
10% / 10 pts.
Mechanical: No spelling, grammatical, or punctuation errors.
10% / 10 pts/
APA: Deliverable is cited properly according to the APA Publication Manual (6th ed.).
5% / 5 pts.