play the role of a research intern in training, working for a non-profit international think tank that resolves ethical dilemmas for members of corporations around the world. These members are clients of the think tank. Your training entails engaging in research activities and reporting your findings to a lead.
You will be led by senior advising ethicist (instructor), who in turn advises your respective clients of the think tank how to resolve an important ethical dilemma—which is the major course project. You will work on resolving ethical dilemmas in your own field of study in each milestone and submit the compilation of these resolutions as your final project in the last milestone. The senior ethicist will advise you on how to revise your submissions, and will provide final recommendations regarding how to resolve the dilemma for the clients. The senior ethicist reports to the CEO of the think tank, discussing with him or her how well you are doing and what still needs to be done regarding the your training progress.
In Milestone 4 Task 1, develop your own argument as a research intern, which should include the following:
- An introduction, which includes a thesis statement, a description of what the essay is about, and a description of how you will go about supporting your own position using ethical theory
(You must have a strong thesis in order to effectively use these theories so as to express your own personal ethical view. A thesis statement is simply a claim that you will attempt to support throughout the rest of your essay. For instance, a thesis statement might be: “I will argue that many of the objections that have been raised about applying Kantian ethics to the problem of music piracy can be overcome. In this case, Kantian ethics aligns more closely with the cost-benefit analysis than many people realize.” The rest of your essay will be spent defending this claim with reasons, research, and examples.)
- A conclusion that summarizes your argument and considers the wider issues at stake
- A reference list of your sources in MLA format
Demonstrate your ability to use ethical reasoning and ethical theory to support a thesis in the final project. Also, demonstrate an understanding of some of the key concepts covered in the assigned reading material and the ability to use scholarly research to support your claims.
- Argument in a Microsoft Word document named LastnameFirstinitial_M4T1_DevelopYourArgument_PHI1010.doc that includes:
- 750-word (minimum) essay (not including title and reference notes) containing: