Write a one page summary of the tectonic evolution of the region of the North American continent in which you live. Refer to your assigned reading.
* Please use the below questions as the Week 9 Written Assignment. These questions will help focus the assignment and help organize the assignment work. Please contact myself directly if you have any questions in regards to this assignment or the material. **
Assignment: Week 9 Written Assignment
Course: G245 Introduction to Geology
Instructor: Michelle Sutherland
1.) 1.) In 6 or more steps, describe the formation and geological history of where you live or just North America in general. The steps must be listed with the oldest event on bottom and the most recent event on the top, thus in chronological order like the Geologic Time Scale. For each step include: the numerical age/age range of the geological event’s occurrence, a brief description of the geological event in your own words, and the APA intext citation of your source. Each step is worth 3.5 points total [1 point numerical age/age range, 2 points for geological event description in your own words, .5 point APA intext citation of source). (21 points total). HINT: Use Chapters 2, 13, 14 and section 22.5 from the textbook to complete this assignment.
Numerical Age/Age Range
Brief Description of Geological Event
APA Intext Citation of Source
(Be mindful of your time scale and time labels)
(In your own words)
0 to 10,000 years ago / Holocene
The glaciers from the Canadian shield regressed southward as temperatures across North America begin to warm. As the glacial lobes retreated north, they left behind deposits of glacial till and carved out depressions that eventually became lakes.
(Chernicoff & Whitney, 2007)
| || || |
| || |
| || |
| || || || |
2.) 2.) What was the main method of expansion/growth of the North American Continent on the west coast? (2 points)
3.) 3.) What is a broad area of exposed crystalline rock, which has not changed for more than a billion years called? (2 points)
4.) 4.) What was the name of the super continent that preceded the formation of North America. HINT: This was the super continent that broke up and the pieces were used to form North America and other continents of today. (2 points)
5.) 5.) What are the three types of plate tectonic boundaries? All three types of plate tectonic boundaries exist today and in the past, and all three have been used to shape all of the continents (including North America) and the changes we observe today. (2 points)
6.) 6.) Reference list, in APA format, of sources used for this assignment. And be sure that intext citations were included for all questions 1 through 5. [1 point total]
Written Assignment Requirements
- Written Assignments are due Sundays 11:59pm CST.
- Use the Written Assignment Questions provided - these allow us to focus on main concepts for this weeks work utilizing the prompt above.
- Your main sources should be our course textbook and online material, as they contain everything you need.
- Respond fully to each question, in complete sentences, everything spelt correctly and in your own words.
- Must include sources used to complete the assignment by utilizing APA format intext citations in every question response and an APA formatted reference list at the end of the assignment.
- More information and guidelines on APA are provided in the Rasmussen APA guide http://guides.rasmussen.edu/apa.
- Want to quote from a source?
- In the case that you want to quote something from a source, make sure to put quotations “” around the source material COPIED WORD FOR WORD from the source, then put an intext citation after the quoted material in APA format and lastly, include the source in an APA formatted reference list.
- If you do not have all three components of APA quoting for COPIED WORD FOR WORD material from a source, then the post can be considered a form of PLAGARISM and can get an automatic ZERO.
- Quotations cannot be longer than one or two lines per response, and the quotations must be within the context of your own words, as these written assignments are supposed to be you explaining what you have read and researched.