Select any four questions of your choice and ensure that you answer all parts of the question. Each answer should be at a minimum two- three page and doubled spaced. The average papers for all four-question range between 10-12 pages. You do not have to cite your sources. I encourage you to use the internet to expand your answers with the primary text book.
- Compare the voyages of non-European people before 1500 to those of the Portuguese and Spanish from 1400 to 1550.
- Why were the Spanish able to establish a territorial empire in the New World?
- Was technological superiority a major factor in the conquest of the Americas?
- What were the long-term political effects of the Protestant Reformation?
- In what ways did the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment challenge the intellectual and political status quo in early modern Europe?
- What were the demographic effects of the Columbian exchange?
- Compare and explain the reasons for differences or similarities between the European colonies of North and South America.
- State and justify your position on the role of the Catholic Church in regard to relations with the Amerindian people in either the Spanish or the French American colonies.
- Describe capitalism and mercantilism and explain their roles in the development of the Atlantic system.
- What factors led to the development of the African slave trade?
- What effects did slavery have on economic life in Africa?
- How was the Ottoman Empire administered under Suleiman the Magnificent (1520-1566)?
- What were the roles of the Portuguese, Oman, and the Dutch in the development of trade in the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asia?
- What factors led to the decline of the Ottoman, Safavid, and Mughal Empires?
- What did the Russian and Qing Empires have in common, and how did these common features affect the relationship between the two?
- Both the Qing and the Tokugawa governments were in decline by 1800. What reasons lay behind the decline of each government?
- Discuss and compare the course of the American, the French, and the Haitian revolutions and analyze the reasons for the significance of the difference outcomes of these three revolutions.
- What roles did Enlightenment thought and folk cultures play in the making of the eighteenth century revolutions?
- Was there a relationship between the ways in which the British and French monarchs approached the ideas of the Enlightenment and the outbreak of revolution?
- Why did the Industrial Revolution begin in Britain rather than in continental Europe or the United States?
- What exactly is meant by the Industrial Revolution? What were the economic changes that revolutionized manufacturing in the eighteenth century and led to the factory system?
- How did the technological innovations of the Industrial Revolution change societies in the industrialized countries?