Prior to beginning work on this discussion be sure to read Chapters 2 and 3 in the course textbook, read the Iurato (2015) article A Brief Comparison of the Unconscious as Seen by Jung and Lévi-Strauss, and view the Harris (2009) video Sigmund Freud: The Unconscious Mind (Short Version). In addition to these required sources, research a minimum of one scholarly source in the Ashford University Library on this topic. All sources plus the text should be cited in your post.
To assist you in completing the library research required for this assignment, view this Ashford University Library Quick ‘n’ Dirty tutorial, which introduces the Ashford University Library and the research process and provides some library search tips.
The unconscious mind is a core concept in most psychoanalytical and psychodynamic theories, but Freud and Jung’s theories are the most developed and prominent. Their concepts and ideas differ in the many areas which then impact their views on how the unconscious mind contributes to personality development. Some of the main areas of difference are
- The role and meaning of dreams.
- The centrality of sex and sexuality in human motivation.
- The proper place of religion and the paranormal in the realm of human knowledge impact how they view the development of personality.
- The elements of the self.
- The makeup of the unconscious.
In your initial post of a minimum of 350 words,
- Select one of the areas of difference listed above, and then summarize, analyze, and assess each theoretical perspective (Freudian and Jungian) as it pertains to personality development and behavior.
- Determine which of the theoretical approaches (Freudian or Jungian) you most support, and present your supporting argument.
- Include in-text citations and full reference entries for the assigned sources and for your scholarly article.