What is a Network
◦ LAN, WAN
◦ Ring , Star , Bus
Vulnerability is a weak spot in your network that
might be exploited by a security threat.
◦ firewall is a network security system that monitors
and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic
based on predetermined security rules.
◦ Firewalls are often categorized as:
Network firewalls: filter traffic between two or more
networks and run on network hardware.
Host-based firewalls: run on host computers and
control network traffic in and out of those machines.
Virtual Private Network (VPN):
◦ extends a private network across a public network,
and enables users to send and receive data across
shared or public networks as if their computing
devices were directly connected to the private
◦ Applications running across the VPN may therefore
benefit from the functionality, security, and
management of the private network. *
◦ *Mason, Andrew G. (2002). Cisco Secure Virtual Private Network. Cisco Press. p. 7.
The key model behind the network design process is known
as the network development life cycle (NDLC)
◦ Information gathering—scope, Requirement.
◦ Flow charts, Flow Diagram, Mock-up, etc…
◦ Purchasing decisions—which switches, routers, firewalls,
servers and so on are needed
◦ Ordering equipment
◦ Configuring and installing the servers and network
equipment, and testing connectivity and functionality
◦ Creating your document, document your resources, etc..
Think of your presentation as a verbal
executive summary. Your presentation should
be in the form of Power Point Presentation
Your presentation should include a minimum
of 15 slides (not including title slide).
Remember, you are presenting the good knowledge
of your work and should include the merit of your
ideas and knowledge. In order to achieve these
goals, at the end of the presentation your audience
◦ Understand the initial requirement and why it is worth
◦ Understand how you are addressing your project.
◦ Know what features have you implemented.
◦ Be confident of your knowledge.
Your slides should include the following
sections (everything you need is in the
Telecommunications Case Assignment
◦ Introduction: In this section, you will introduce the
project and the objectives of the project including
◦ Requirement Analysis: In this section, you will
discuss the requirement.
◦ Design: You need diagrams, charts, pics, etc..
◦ Implementation: diagrams, charts, and possibly
◦ Testing (optional): You can present your data
testing in this section.
◦ Cost analysis: Estimated cost (you can use the
internet to get pricing). Make sure to include labor
cost in your analysis.
◦ Conclusion: Summary, lesson learned, future work,
◦ You can assume that your audience has a similar
level of technical background to yours, although
they know nothing about your project.
◦ Use this presentation as an opportunity to
highlight the strengths of your project; i.e. make
sure to point out any particularly unusual or
Power Point Presentation (PPP) additional
◦ In order to be most effective, here are some
general design guidelines:
◦ Include visual items (diagrams, charts, screen
◦ Use larger font than you would use for a
written paper (i.e. don’t use 12 point!).
Acme Corporation is a new startup
wishes to sale:
◦ their new phone to the public called Acmephone,
◦ a more secure version of the phone to business
organizations, called the Acmephone B+, and
◦ highly secure version of the phone, called the
Acmephone G+, to the government.
Due to the fear of corporate espionage and
government security requirements, there are
many security concerns that must be
As a security professional, you have been
employed to design a network infrastructure
for their two campuses located in Atlanta and
based upon the following specifications:
◦ 1. There needs to be a constant connection between the
two locations that can carry at least 50 Mbps of data.
◦ 2. Each facility has three floors. The buildings are
rectangular with each floor being 350’x350’.
◦ 3. There will be 200 network connections on each floor
with an additional 100 network connections in the data
centers located on the third floor of each building.
◦ 4. The primary data center will be located at the Atlanta
◦ 5. There will be a failover* data center at the Cincinnati
* Failover is a method of protecting computer systems from failure,
in which standby equipment automatically takes over when the main
◦ 6. Each location should be protected from intrusions that
are not limited to state change attacks.
◦ 7. The Atlanta location will house the two secure
development teams. As such, it will need the most security.
To further complicate the design, there will be database
servers and the corporate Web servers housed at that
location as well.
◦ 8. There will be database servers located at the
◦ 9. The servers must have redundancy.
◦ 10. The solution must have a plan to verify security
Your job is to develop a network design to
meet the requirements above.
◦ 1.You should submit a network drawing listing the
network’s topology including any necessary
◦ 2.You should list any recommended cable.
◦ 3.You can recommend wiring closets wherever you
◦ 4.You should recommend ways to assure that you
are not getting attacked.
◦ 5.You should build traps to stop attackers.
◦ 6.You should recommend any WAN or wireless
◦ 7.You should recommend any technology needed
in the data center for high availability.
◦ 8. Justify your recommendations.
Include the following sections:
Abstract: Describe the problem and the solution you presenting (few
Introduction: In this section, you will introduce the project and the
objectives of the project including executive summary.
Requirement Analysis: In this section, you will discuss the requirement
Design: You need diagrams, charts, pics, etc..
Implementation: diagrams, charts, and possibly screen shots
Testing (optional): You can present your data testing in this section
Cost analysis: Estimated cost (you can use the internet to get pricing).
Make sure to include labor cost in your analysis.
Conclusion: Summary, lesson learned, future work, etc..
Network Security, Firewalls and VPNs
Project Development Life Cycle
Network Development Life Cycle
Project – Case Study
Project – Case Study Presentation
Project – Case Study Documentation
Purchase answer to see full